1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Big Smoke Weekend

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SmokiePokie, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Kids are getting baptized Sunday so we have family coming in town for the occasion. I was initially just going to do a brisket. Bought a small 9 pound packer. Wife asked me to throw two whole chickens on and father in law got excited and bought three racks of baby backs. Needless to say the MES 40 will be cranking on Sunday! Going to try adding a few chunks of charcoal with my chips to see if I can get a smoke ring. I know it doesn’t change anything as far as flavor but I’m interested to see how/if it works. I’ll post pics once I get everything trimmed and rubbed tomorrow night.

chilerelleno likes this.
  2. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Legendary Pitmaster Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Sounds like someone will have a happy smoker.

3. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Sounds like a great weekend smoke.
    Hope to see some nice Qview from you.

Congrats on the Baptisms.
    Curious, are these infant, age of cognizance or conversions?

4. Age of cognizance. 11 and 12 year old daughters.

chilerelleno likes this.
  5. Here’s everything rubbed and ready for wrap and rest overnight. It was a 9 pound packer, trimmed down to 1/4 inch everywhere and separated into a 2.5 lb point and 4.0 lb flat, so trimmed off about 2.5 lb, and three racks of baby backs. Will rub the birds in the morning after they brine overnight.

Attached Files:

6. crazymoon

crazymoon Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

SP,Looks like a good start to a great smoke!

7. So far so good. Got the brisket cuts on about 6:15 this morning. With their small size they’re cooking quick, already up to 140 on the flat. The MES is definitely cranking and adding a couple of small lumps of charcoal with the wood chips seems to be helping to keep the billowing white smoke down a little. Not quite getting TBS, but definitely closer than before.

Attached Files:

8. Brisket foiled for the last 20 degrees. Ribs and chicken on. Should be way too full in about 5 hours or so!

Attached Files:

9. 2 chickens resting with the brisket. 30 more minutes to unwrap the ribs and another hour after that we’ll be eating. Will post pics of everything when it’s done!

Attached Files:

10. Burnt ends!!

Attached Files:

11. RiversideSm0ker

RiversideSm0ker Master of the Pit

Are you kidding me with all that smoked goodness? What a feast for a wonderful occasion. Congrats to the ladies and enjoy that Q.

George

12. I think we’ll all have plenty to eat!!

Attached Files:

13. I think I missed my invitation, just tell me where to show up for the leftovers! Congrats on the joyous occasion!