Big chicken Smoke for a good cause

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That test run chicken looks fantastic looks like you have it figured out if it tastes anywhere near as good as it looks. Great job and your doing a very nice thing that I'm sure will be very much appreciated by those you feed.

Reactions: 912smoker
Looks fantastic! I'm always impressed with your "go big or go home" attitude. You're livin' the dream. Those birds look fantastic - you've got my mouth watering. I'd love to see a video of the entire process. Good luck on your charity dinner. You're going to make a lot of people very happy.

Thanks - one week to go... I've cleared out two US FOODS/Chef store locations of stuff I need for the sauce and bought some new brining cans. Look forward to sharing the journey next weekend,

Just spent the day picking up supplies for the weekend ahead. 22 pounds of salt, 20 pounds of sugar, lots of spices etc all for the brine. I plan to make the brine Friday and wheel it into the walk in so it gets down to temp before putting the chicken in on Saturday.

Will post progress along the way.

So far sold 100 of the 240 dinners. Not nervous yet but hope to get them all sold in the next day or two.

Reactions: 912smoker
Well, getting ready for the big weekend. Calm before the storm.

Picked up chicken this AM. Had them half the roasters and take the backbone out.

Hated that I had to pay 'retail' for 620 pounds of chicken but my wholesaler is only selling fryers now and not roasters. I didn't want tiny half chickens, especially for smoking them.

IMG_3056.jpg

Let's make the brine.. A day early, making the brine so I can easily add the chicken tomorrow and the brine has all night in the walk in cooler to get down to temp.

I figure I'm making 20 gallons of brine x 2 batches (and two containers).

Containers are 40-50 gallons in size.

So I'm making a concentration of 5 gallons with all the ingredients and adding 15 gallons of just water. Maybe some ice as well to get it down in temp faster.

12 pounds salt, 9 pounds sugar, 9 pounds brown sugar, 2.5 cups of cure (add at end, not to hot water), and lots of spices.

IMG_3061.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3068.jpg
    IMG_3068.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: imightbejosh
Both brine cans in walk in cooler.. chicken in back.. will marry together tomorrow morning.

IMG_3073.jpg

Reactions: imightbejosh
That test run chicken looks fantastic looks like you have it figured out if it tastes anywhere near as good as it looks. Great job and your doing a very nice thing that I'm sure will be very much appreciated by those you feed.

^^^Exactly what Piney said!!^^^
Plus---I can't remember ever seeing better looking Chickens!!
Like.

Bear

Brining chicken-

When we counted - we were short by 10 chickens so went out for more retail chickens - now we will end up at 266 servings total .

Tickets pretty much sold out so all good on that front - now to let it all brine away in the walk in cooler - ended up having to use two additional containers as well and split brine up.

B6EBFB0D-FD54-4F4A-A6CB-7F5C81FA5345.jpeg
670D9312-9854-4586-BFE7-2CFF77CB8238.jpeg
037A41F4-1C2E-4B59-A069-4866C8F3BE9F.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky