• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

BI Pork Shoulder Roast

Burly567

Smoke Blower
Joined May 29, 2019
My market has bone in pork shoulder roasts on sale. What would be different in smoking a boneless roast??

jaxgatorz

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 30, 2008
Either one works.. I like the bone in because it acts as a thermometer ( Bone slides out, it's done ).. Also the boneless i've smoked tend to not hold their shape .(You can tie the roast up to prevent that ).

Burly567

Smoke Blower
Joined May 29, 2019
Either one works.. I like the bone in because it acts as a thermometer ( Bone slides out, it's done ).. Also the boneless i've smoked tend to not hold their shape .(You can tie the roast up to prevent that ).
Thanks Jax. The roast are on sale for $1.49/Lb.

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
I do them both. With boneless you end up cutting off some small hanging pieces and tying it up to get even cool temps. Kroger has bone in this week for $0.99

ChuxPick

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 11, 2017
Burly, please keep us posted on your roast, pictures would be great also.
Our local market also have bone in butts for $.99per pound this week as well, they run butts at that price quite often.

Burly567

Smoke Blower
Joined May 29, 2019
Hopefully this isn't a dead thread.

I've laid out my BI Pork Shoulder Butt. Probably going to take a few days to thaw.

After reading several threads I'm going to try a pull on it. If I have any trouble with it I'll go to 150°F and slice.

I'll try real hard to remember to take pics.

Last edited:

noboundaries

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
After reading several threads I'm going to try a pull on it. If I have any trouble with it I'll go to 150°F and slice.
Not quite sure what you mean above. You mention "pull" first, which is usually 200-207F internal temp, then you mention slicing at 150F. Please clarify. Thanks.

Last edited:

Burly567

Smoke Blower
Joined May 29, 2019
I was considering a pull on it at around 205-210. If time becomes a problem then I will slice. I'll see how long it takes to get to 150 in this cold weather. If it takes 10-11 hours I'll pull it out of the smoker and slice.

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I was considering a pull on it at around 205-210. If time becomes a problem then I will slice. I
Can always use the oven to finish .

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.