Best Hot Dogs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nathan's all beef franks. I don't grill them though. I simmer them in salty water, and put them on a steamed hd bun. Top with yellow mustard, relish, diced onion, and celery salt.

Last edited:
Here in California, we NEVER see a variety of small brand dogs shown in the article. We have all the major brands (Ball Park, O.M., etc) that taste like (BLEEEEEP!). Nathans and Hebrew National are my grocery store favorites. The Dinger Dogs they serve at the local AAA ballpark for the SF Giants minor league team, the Sacramento River Cats, make my mouth water. I'll be eaten one of those next weekend!

Edit: and I agree about Nathan's being too skinny, that's why I make three dogs, cut one in half lengthwise, and add it to the two buns, each with a complete dog.

Reactions: bill ace 350
Since we're talking dogs, I have a story.

When I was in the Navy and at Naval Air Station Cubi Point, Philippines, they had the best dogs on the base. Those little babies rolled around on the hot rollers for hours, and when ordered, a sweet, cloud-soft, hot-steamed bun was pulled out of the steamer. A little mustard, chopped onion, and pickle relish completed the construction. I'm not ashamed to say there were times I'd eat five or six of those delicious, unhealthy little constructions. My wife visited me there for a couple weeks once, and if either of us mentions Cubi Dogs, we start salivating uncontrollably.

Now, back to your favorites. :emoji_wink:

I buy a 1/4 pound frank at the meat market by the house . Skinless . Beef / pork blend , nice spice . That's our favorite . Not sure of the brand .
The grocery stores around here , I by Nathans . They have 3 choices . Yes some are to skinny for me , but the ones I buy are 8 count and fill the bun .
Johnsonville used to make a natural casing hotdog that was good also .

For store bought dogs I prefer the ballpark all beef. You grill those suckers up get em nice plump and burnt outside it’s hard to beat

Where I am at in western PA, we can get Sahlen's. We like them a lot. Of the National brands, the kids like Ballpark. In NJ, the Kings of Hot Dogs are Schick hays and Best Brand rule. 1/4 lbs in natural casing and loaded with flavor...JJ

Where I am at in western PA, we can get Sahlen's. We like them a lot. Of the National brands, the kids like Ballpark. In NJ, the Kings of Hot Dogs are Schick hays and Best Brand rule. 1/4 lbs in natural casing and loaded with flavor...JJ

I prefer the Hofman brand. hope the quality doesn't suffer since they are going national.....
To late Bill...… they did change the recipe and they now suck.

I'm a big fan of the Zweigles whites, for the same reason the writer put them down, a nice mild spice blend.
Another good store bought one is Dietz & Watson's Black forest bratwurst. I get them at Price chopper.

They’re gonna throw me out of the Cubs fan club, but after being a Vienna Beef acolyte for 44 years, I had a Koegel Vienna done Chicago-style and it was the best hotdog I ever had.

Heck, even the Flint coneys (made with Koegel sausages and pure Michigan beef heart coney sauce) are pretty darn good.

Nathan’s holds the distinction of making a “hotdog” so inoffensive that some skinny Japanese kid can eat 35 of them...

Reactions: DanMcG
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky