Best Flavor pellets for Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I like the championship blend fro B&B , but I put 100 % mesquite in the bottom first so those get used during the smoke boost . Oak is always good on beef in my opinion , and the blend pellets are Oak based .

Reactions: mneeley490
I prefer mesquite. Otherwise hickory. I don’t do a lot of blends personally on brisket, I don’t feel the fruity woods comes through as well. Then again that’s just me.

Reactions: 1MoreFord
Last cook I used Bear mountain bold and some Royal oak charcoal mixed. With a smoke tube packed with BM bold pellets and mesquite chips.

.........................Oak is always good on beef in my opinion , and the blend pellets are Oak based .

Unless the pellets you use state they are 100% of the flavorwood you want they are blends. The pellets that say they are 100% hardwood are blends. Usually Oak or Alder is the base wood and many/most of the Oak and Alder pellets are thus 100% of the stated wood too. Special "Blends", such as championship, may or may not include Oak or Alder in their mix in addition to the stated woods. The pellet makers use Oak or Alder because they are plentiful and cheaper than the flavor woods in the area the pellets are made in.

For you smokers that have smoked Brisket with pellets I ask.

In your opinion what is the best flavored pellets to use when smoking a Brisket?

Thanks
100% Mesquite pellets are by far the best for brisket and beef in general.
The problem is that unless you are in North Texas, you won't be able to get 100% Mesquite. Lumberjack stopped making 100% Mesquite and it breaks my heart.

With that said I would thing going with Lumberjack Mesquite Blend would be your next best bet.
Lousiana Grills makes a "Mesquite" pellet that is about 35% and the rest is Maple (if I remember that ratios correctly). This would likely be a more widely available mesquite blend alternative.

If you cant get any of that then I guess you just go with Oak like so many of the places around here to. It's good but Oak is used sooooooooo much out here that it is not very impressive or desirable for me.

I really like the Longhorn Blend by CookinPellets 100% hardwood mix of mesquite, cherry, and hard maple.... but plenty of mesquite in it to give it that really nice flavor.

Reactions: tallbm
Our first and only brisket we did a mix of oak and hickory. We read about adding in sone Cherry to get a deeper red color. I typically get pit boss or lumberjack pellets. Traeger branded pellets are said to use oils to get the various flavors instead of others that use woods without oils.

When I had a stick burner I used oak & hickory on everything since they were readily available & cheap. But now with my pellet grill I like a combo of cherry & hickory, both 100% from Lumberjack. It works really well with beef, great color & plenty of smoke flavor.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky