Best beer with pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bhambrewer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Birmingham, Alabama
A few years ago I sat down with friends, beer, and BBQ pork. We wanted to work out what was the best beer to pair with BBQ pork. We tried out American Pale Ale, IPA, stouts, and Doppelbock.

The conclusion we came to - including the hard core hopheads - was that Doppelbock is the best beer to pair with pork in pretty much any of its forms. Look for brands such as Celebrator, Optimator, Salvator, and other beers whose name ends in -ator.

Enjoy!

I could see your point and choice made. I tend to go more Light, Refreshing and Local. STRAUB Brewery, since 1872, is just 20 minutes away and has some great products. Their Amber Lager is fabulous and available year round but their Oktoberfest Marzen , Jul thru Nov, is what I enjoy the most...JJ

Makes sense and while it is no exact science, in general, stronger flavored beers like IPA pair better with milder food and vice versa. Cue is pretty strong flavored and that explains why it even works well with "lite" beers. Also, those doppels might be not be as strong flavored as IPA per se but have some prominent malt notes and are sweetish and those will play well with pork. For me, beer is somewhat seasonal and I don't pair with food. Almost time for snakebites which are half hard cider, half lager.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I've never been one to concern myself with pairings. The closest I get is red wine with beef, white or rose with chicken/fish, and my favorite beers (Porters or Hefs) with whatever fits my mood when there's something to eat on the table.

I could see your point and choice made. I tend to go more Light, Refreshing and Local. STRAUB Brewery, since 1872, is just 20 minutes away and has some great products. Their Amber Lager is fabulous and available year round but their Oktoberfest Marzen , Jul thru Nov, is what I enjoy the most...JJ

Their Amber Lager is tasty. Haven’t tried the Oktoberfest, but I’ll take your word for it.

Aacht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen.

It's a beechwood smoked Oktoberfest/Marzen beer. Phenomenal
Pairs so well with BBQ that I often use it in marinades.

1609040682541.png

Reactions: bhambrewer
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky