Beer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Stemy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Ohio
Has anyone tried to use beer in the water bowl in the smoker? If so did you mix it with water or just straight beer? Did the taste come out good with it?

No offense, but the only place beer is going is down my throat! Once I figured out my WSM, I quit using water in the pan. Much less mess to deal with.

I dont use a water pan in anything. My .02 cents

You won't get flavour from putting beer in the water pan, the reason beer brats etc get flavour is they are boiled in the beer it self.

All you might do is have a beer scented smoker.

Reactions: hb99
I have tried using different liquids in the water pan including beer and have never really noticed any of them imparting any flavor save them to drink while your tending the smoker :D
As for using or not using the water pan to each their own but personally I use one in all but my big reverse flow smoker. I kind of figure if they weren't needed the smoker company wouldn't put them in there. The smoker maker would still sell the smoker for the same price more than likely but reduce input costs thus making more profit and I don't know any company that doesn't like more profit.

I have used my water bowl both times I have smoked. Not sure if it helps keep moisture in the meat or the actually purpose of it is.

In a WSM, the purpose of the water pan is to keep smoking temps in the "Low and Slow" temps of around 225 "ish". I can't speak for every WSM owner, but in the summer here in TN I can't run lower than 250 without water in the pan. I've learned that smoking in between 250 and 275 is a lot better than dealing with the mess that water adds to the process. I add moisture with either a good brine or marinade (depends on the meat). A great friend of mine spritzes his longer cooks with apple juice for moisture!

Last edited:
The science is clear, water (and flavor) is not gonna make it into the meat. Same with basting (sorry Grandma). The purpose of water bowl is to add thermal mass, to soften temps swings of the smoker. Not sure what smoker you have (helps to put this in sig) but only a few guys here use water and most are stick burners. The 3 best things that I learned here was to use AMNPS, no water in smoker, and to never smoke wet meat. The key to moist meat is pulling at proper IT. Brining/injecting/etc also helps but proper IT is essential.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a water pan...many do it and swear by it. However, as already mentioned here multiple times, it doesn't really add moisture to the meat, but rather provides a thermal mass to help regulate cooking temperature.

There is also another school of thought regarding water in a smoker: there's a belief by some that the moist environment produced by a water pan promotes more smoke particles adhering to the surface of the meat, which could improve the smoky flavor. I've never been too sure about the science of such a belief, but there are experienced pitmasters (such as Myron Mixon, for example) who swear by water smokers.

I say, if you use a water pan and get good results, keep doing it! Or, if you're unsure, try it both ways and decide for yourself which produces the best results for you. But as others have said, don't waste your time trying to infuse flavors in the meat with your water pan...that's just not gonna happen...

Happy Smoking!
Red

Folks have put all kinds of liquids in the pan, from beer, fruit juices to expensive Bourbon. The water and or Alcohol evaporates off leaving behind a pan of sticky beer, fruit or Bourbon SYRUP! Very little, if any, flavorful molecules will contact and stick to the meat. Not to mention any rub, other than salt only, will over power the flavor of anything rising out of the pan...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky