Beer can chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dcecil

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 3, 2018
Clovis Ca
Smokin a beer can chicken using one of Jeff’s email recipes. My plan is to use the chicken for Tacos. Gonna throw a couple of fish fillets on later for my wife. She loves her fish Tacos. Tacos will have a little twist. We use flour tortillas, diced apples, cilantro, chopped onions, lettuce and tomatoes with an avocado Aoli sauce. Pretty tasty.
So here’s how we’re doin it:
Whole chicken 3.5 pounds
Brined chicken for three hours in fridge in a gallon of water a cup of kosher salt and a cup of brown sugar
Jeff’s original Rub mixed in a bowl with butter and mayo
Lathered up bird
One 805 beer, disclaimer I drank the beer and filled can half way with chicken broth
Put bird on beer can and stuck it in the cooker. Pit is set at 275 using pecan wood and gonna let it roll until IT temp hits 170 as I was told that is a good temp for pulling chicken. Here’s a few pics to get get started. 32EBDE18-958A-4FDE-BB01-592C8B263A3A.jpeg DDB473CD-D1B4-4E2C-AB41-054BA7EE18B0.jpeg A1C1959D-6453-4FE3-8439-CDB8DDB4BEDF.jpeg 87DEDD56-18BE-421A-B498-0353A03ED37C.jpeg 35395787-F4FB-48BB-8305-DED35F72079B.jpeg 50FB4CEF-AF3D-4D4A-83DE-C3136D35E981.jpeg bird coming off and fish going on 646DE9F0-3F9A-4FAA-8A73-2B64AF28E54A.jpeg [ATTAC]364528[/ATTACH]resting DCB57EDE-3A2B-487B-9DFF-866F4707EA99.jpeg tacos are done 4B29F078-4F5A-4467-894A-5DCF6DB51A8A.jpeg fish is not going to make it to a tortilla. My wife is eating it off the foil lol.

Attachments

• 9346A0C5-B1F6-4702-AE43-589C47FC30C6.jpeg
    9346A0C5-B1F6-4702-AE43-589C47FC30C6.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Probably be good, even if you did cheat with the beer.

I'm not sure I could waste the beer either. Sacrilege!

Watching for the finish line.... :D

Reactions: dcecil
love it when a plan comes together ... the only other thing I will do on mine is... separate the skin from the breast, thigh, and leg.... then put the rub right on the meat... otherwise same way I do...

love it when a plan comes together ... the only other thing I will do on mine is... separate the skin from the breast, thigh, and leg.... then put the rub right on the meat... otherwise same way I do...
I will definitely try taking the skin off next time. This is my first one so learning as I go. I did get get some seasoning under the skin so I’m hoping it works out. Thanks for taking the time to look and offer a different way of doing it. I like different options for sure. Great handle by the way

Thx... I should of elaborated more... I work my hand down in (from the neck) under the skin being careful not to tear it... I don't take the skin off... the further down in I get I can work a finger or two down around the thigh and leg a swell... sometime you do end up tearing the skin.. just pull the skin back up over the meat and use a toothpick or two to hold it up there... ya wanna keep the breast covered up...

One hour in and starting to look good. Internal temp at 140. Got the fish brining, will be adding to grill soon
64E38344-C41F-4D9C-A96D-A8DBCA90E6E7.jpeg
5B60FD27-BBA9-459D-A948-A8EF422B6C28.jpeg

Probably be good, even if you did cheat with the beer.

I'm not sure I could waste the beer either. Sacrilege!

Watching for the finish line.... :D
I just wanted to make sure I tasted the beer. Lol

Thx... I should of elaborated more... I work my hand down in (from the neck) under the skin being careful not to tear it... I don't take the skin off... the further down in I get I can work a finger or two down around the thigh and leg a swell... sometime you do end up tearing the skin.. just pull the skin back up over the meat and use a toothpick or two to hold it up there... ya wanna keep the breast covered up...
Gotcha, that makes since. Great idea about the tooth picks

Looks like a great bird and fish. Taco's are always a good choice.

Point for sure.

Chris

Very nice. I love fish tacos myself. What kind of fish did you smoke there? I might be interested in trying something like that as well.

George
I believe it was called a Turbot. Don’t hold me to that. We went looking for Tilapia as my wife likes white fish and this was sitting next to the tilapia and it was twice the size. Cooked and turned out exactly like tilapia in my opinion. Look up the Tilapia recipe in Jeff’s website. I followed that. Will definitely do it again

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky