Beef Sticks, Snack Sticks, Slim Jims

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hanifen

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 9, 2007
Minneapolis
I know there are some recipes on previous threads and will be searching them as well but wanted to post a thread to see if anyone has some recipes out there they have not shared.

I like to stay away from buying mixes cause if you get tied to them and they stop making it your screwed. Plus making your own recipe can be both cheaper and tailored to your own taste.

So do anyone have a recipe they would like to share? Wanting something to stuff into a 19mm collagen casing.

Thanks,

I've got a few, but I've not tried them so I can't say if they are good or not, but you can find some.....when I try some and they are good....I'll post the recipe.......just like debi does!!!!

Hanifen,this recipe is very good,its no doubt the best stuff I make.You can stuff it in small casings for snack sticks, or like I tried this year, in larger casings for slicing.This year I also added high temp cheddar cheese which made it even better.Also using granulated citric acid is a must to give it the tangy,fermented taste.You can find the citric acid at Allied Kenco and the cheese most anywhere.I increase the ingredients by 25% for more flavor,but thats up to you.When I bite something I like for it to bite back.

INGREDIENTS FOR 10 LBS.

2 tsp Instacure #1
4 Tb paprika
1/3 cup ground mustard
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground white pepper (kinda hot)
1 tsp ground celery
1 Tb mace or 2 Tb nutmeg
1 tsp granulated garlic
5 Tb salt
1-1/2 cups powdered dextrose (corn sugar)
citric acid ( use amount recommended on the label)
1 lb cheese

MEAT

Beef or Venison 80% lean 20% fat
Beef Chuck works well,I use hamburger

PROCESSING

Chill ground meat to 30-32 deg.I add all ingredients to about 1-1/2 cups of water or so and run through a blender to mix well,add to meat.Stuff into whatever size casings you want.Place meat into a 98 to 110 degree pre heated smoker,smoke at this temp for 8 to 12 hours.Raise smoker temp to 160 and smoke until internal temp of the meat reaches 145 deg.Remove from smoker and place in a dry room at 50-55 deg until meat is cooled.The sticks will reach full flavor in about 24 hours then enjoy at will.Everyone here at the house and those animals at work will eat it all up before you know it so you had better hide some for yourself,David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky