Beef stew

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

myownidaho

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 27, 2016
Southwest Idaho
I'm bored, it's cold, Seattle is getting thumped, I'm making stew.

A friend of mine raises a couple of Angus steers every year. I usually take a half. Two acres of pasture grass for two bovine and grain from day one makes for a great product. This is 3# of rump roast.

One onion, three carrots, three stocks of celery, three cloves of garlic and a pile of mushrooms.

Brown the meat and deglaze the pan with a cup of red wine.

Brown the onions, carrots and celery. Add the mushrooms and garlic at the halfway point. Add a 6oz. can of tomato paste(I have home made paste I use) and continue to cook on high until paste turns brown. Add it into the dutch oven with the meat and deglaze with another cup of red wine.

Add beef stock to one inch below the top of the other ingredients. Season with dry thyme, sage, bay leaf, salt and pepper, or whatever other combination you prefer. I can't give quantities because this is where individual preference rules. My herbs are dried from the garden, so they're a little more potent than store bought.

Bring to a simmer on the stove, cover the dutch oven and put in a 325 degree oven for 90 minutes. I'll add green beans and potatoes at that point. Return to the oven and cook until the meat is fall apart tender. Could take up to an hour.

I'll post a picture of the final product in a bit.

Last edited:
That looks great! My plans are to make stew today, it's 7 below this morning in Minnesota. I hope I have all the herbs. Thank you

Nice job on the stew! I made Beef Barley & a no knead bread.great winter meals points

Richie 

Great looking stew!!!

drool.gif

Want a trick to vac pack it? Freeze it in a bowl first, then pop it out of the bowl and vac pack the "brick". They stack well in the freezer.
Thanks for the tip! I've done it that way before. What I typically do now is freeze it in the vacuum bag and then seal it. It's more of a pain but it works better when packing it in with the frozen veggies, sausages, etc. I have to pack my freezer like I'm packing a trunk.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky