Beef Short Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Short Ribs is the proper name for both Plate and Chuck racks.

And apparently from the rib primal as well, at least according to NAMP. Paraphrased from their book "The Meat Buyers Guide":

#123A - Beef Short Plate, Short Ribs, Trimmed
Derived from 6th, 7th, and 8th ribs of the short plate

#123B - Beef Rib, Short Ribs, Trimmed
Derived from the 6th, 7th and 8th ribs of the primal rib

#130 - Beef Chuck, Short Ribs
This item may be prepared from the arm portion of any chuck item and shall consist of the the ribs numbers 2 through 5

But consumer labeling is confusing.

Last edited:
And apparently from the rib primal as well, at least according to NAMP. Although I doubt they show up very often. Paraphrased from their book "The Meat Buyers Guide":

#123A - Beef Short Plate, Short Ribs, Trimmed
Derived from 6th, 7th, and 8th ribs of the short plate

#123B - Beef Rib, Short Ribs, Trimmed
Derived from the 6th, 7th and 8th ribs of the primal rib

#130 - Beef Chuck, Short Ribs
This item may be prepared from the arm portion of any chuck item and shall consist of the the ribs numbers 2 through 5
I've probably half a dozen or more links of educational value on Short Ribs.
It was at first frustrating trying to communicate with so-called butchers.
Still is at times.
None of these butcherz break down their own sides of beef any more.
All primals or specific cuts prepackaged.

One thing I notice in looking at prep video and images for plate ribs is that the fat cap may be trimmed down, but is often not removed. On the chuck ribs, the fat cap was very thin, but there's a very tough looking fibrous membrane (along with regular silver skin) underneath it. I remove it all because it seems too tough to break down. Do the plate ribs have the same kind of membrane? Does it break down?

One thing I notice in looking at prep video and images for plate ribs is that the fat cap may be trimmed down, but is often not removed. On the chuck ribs, the fat cap was very thin, but there's a very tough looking fibrous membrane (along with regular silver skin) underneath it. I remove it all because it seems too tough to break down. Do the plate ribs have the same kind of membrane? Does it break down?
I remove pretty much all fat and shave any type of fascia off, I want it all rub and bark. There is more than enough fat in the meat.
When mine are done it's all bark, meat and veins of rich fat, except right around the bones.

Maybe I should special order an actual full rack of beef ribs,
3' long, 18"-8" wide.

Or maybe Tomahawk Ribs, individual 15" Plate short ribs with a 1.5-2lb hunk of beef on each.

Well...yeah!!! That would be a sight to behold! I actually saw this at a Brazilian Steakhouse and carved at your table. It was amazing! Better start looking now for a bigger smoker!

BTW- Isn't that what Fred Flintstone got served carside at the drive-in?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky