1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

beef roast

Discussion in 'Beef' started by newsmokerky, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Is a chuck roast any good to smoke, or are they too fatty?

2. fivetricks

fivetricks Smoking Fanatic

Chuck roasts are a great smoke. I'd suggest running it to 195 or higher with a 225-250 cook temp based on your preference.

Given the beef forum a once over, you'll find lots of ideas there :-)

newsmokerky likes this.
  3. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

They are Awesome when smoked. Is a smoked Pork Butt too fatty for your taste? The Butt and Chuck are the same muscle group, different animals. Smoke the Chuck to the desired doneness and trim away anything you don't wish to eat. Here with Butts or Chuck roast, very little fat gets trimmed away, just large residual chunks. Fat Is Flavor and we don't cook them that often so we enjoy every flavorful bite...JJ

4. Sweet, I hadn't thought about it that way. Shred like a butt, or is it better sliced?

5. Co4ch D4ve

Co4ch D4ve Smoking Fanatic

I like it sliced and shredded. Just depends on how I’m using it. Check out chuck and barbacoa in my signature.

newsmokerky likes this.
  6. Will do. Thank you.

7. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

8. gmc2003

gmc2003 Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

I prefer chuck shredded, and as stated above it's a wonderful cut to smoke.

Chris

9. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I smoked a beef shoulder clod yesterday, which is from the chuck primal...same region as the chuck roast.
    https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoked-top-choice-shoulder-clod.285114/
    Awesome beefy flavor! I suggest cooking to internal of 195~197*...and wrap/hold above 180* for two hours after you pull it off the smoker to allow the connective tissues time to break down.

I also highly recommend chef jj's smokey au jus. Awesome flavor that you can add back in to the chopped/pulled chuck to keep moist....

10. indaswamp

11. I've got a 2.75 lb chuck roast thawing. Gonna give Bear's method with thick "wooshy" and rub a try. Prep in a little while, smoke tomorrow after church. My mouth is watering thinking about it.

12. indaswamp

"wooshy"????

13. That's what he called it, lol. How do you spell worcestershire anyway?

14. chef jimmyj

Just like That! Plus the word Sauce....JJ

15. Just got back from grocery. They didn't have any thick worcestershire sauce, so I got some A-1 thick and hearty. I've used that on rib roasts, so it should work fine. Gonna rub liberally with Weber Dry Smoke rub, then coat with the A-1. Wrap it up, and put in fridge over night. Put in the smoker tomorrow after church. 2.75 lbs at 225-250 should be done to 195 ish in time for dinner around 6:00, I would think. Should I pan it in the smoker to save the drippings, or just put a pan under it to catch the drippings?

16. indaswamp

Are you doing slices or pulled beef?

17. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

Chuck Roasts make Awesome Pulled Beef.
    And Worcestershire "Thick" has changed it's name to "Lea & Perrins Bold Steak Sauce".(Same stuff--Different name)

And below are some Pulled chucky Step by Steps:
    Pulled Beef Chucky
    Twin Chuckies
    Smoked Pulled Beef Chucky

Bear

indaswamp and wbf610 like this.
  18. I plan to shred/pull like a butt.

19. Yeah, and Kroger doesn't carry it.

20. Rubbed, scored, slathered in the A-1 bold, wrapped, and in fridge....

chopsaw and wbf610 like this.