1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoked Top Choice shoulder clod..

Discussion in 'Beef' started by indaswamp, Mar 10, 2019.

1. hoity toit

hoity toit Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

We do shoulder clod quite often. Do it just like you do your brisket. You won't be disappointed. I am along for the ride on this one, can't wait to see the finish !

HT

indaswamp likes this.
  2. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Thanks HT! I have just the clod heart and a few scraps that I'm cooking to pull. I'm figuring about 18~20 hours cook time plus another 2~3 hours of rest in a cambro. Going to 197* and then I'll check it.

3. indaswamp

12 hours in and INT is at 169*....

4. indaswamp

14 hours in...INT @ 187*... another hour or two and I'll check the tenderness in the clod heart.

5. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That's not bad at all,actually rather quick.:emoji_hourglass_flowing_sand::emoji_chart_with_upwards_trend:

6. indaswamp

Just checked it....198*INT and like butta! Shut the propane off and closed the vents, letting it sit @ temp inda smokehouse for a little bit to fall apart a little more, then into the cambro for 2 hours.

7. motocrash

upload_2019-3-15_15-44-51.png

8. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

That's a Big-un!!
    Never saw them around here.
    Maybe not enough Clodhoppers around this area.:emoji_laughing:
    Be back for Viewing.

Bear

chopsaw likes this.
  9. indaswamp

Welp, she's done. And WOW! So much flavor! Way better than brisket as far as that goes...

Well hello there clod....been a while since I've seen you and you sure are lookin' good!
    IMG_20190315_163437.jpg

cross cut on one of the scraps...
    IMG_20190315_163737.jpg
    First slices...
    IMG_20190315_164913.jpg

Chef jj's au jus..
    IMG_20190315_172155.jpg

Chopped...
    IMG_20190315_172513.jpg

Up close..
    IMG_20190315_172540.jpg

And of course, the obligatory sammich!!!
    IMG_20190315_173444.jpg

First impression- this is an awesome cut of meat...the clod... Packed with beefy flavor you would expect from the chuck. I thought this clod heart would be dry, (there was not a lot of fat on the cut to begin with-I saved what I could) but after chopping and blending in some au jus, this chopped beef is just awesome! I highly recommend picking one up if you see one and have a herd of hungry mouths to feed. This one could feed 25 easy.

gmc2003 and motocrash like this.
  10. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks good swampy .

11. indaswamp

Thanks Chopsaw! T'was a long night for me tending the smokehouse. I think I got (3) 45 minute cat naps... I'm pooped and not long for bed...

12. motocrash

13. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Well what ever I read from another site is tossed out the window. That looks freak'n fantastic Inda!!! It's now on the short list of things to do.

Point for sure
    Chris

14. indaswamp

<thumbs up>
    Thanks moto and gmc...

15. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

Nothing like a Pile of Tasty Beef!!
    Nice Job!
    Like.

Bear

16. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

They have these at GFS by me , and not bad on the price . Might run up there today .
    Whats on the bread / bun . Horseradish ? I just bought some Inglehoffer cream style . Right bite make ya blind . Be good on that beef . Nice cook .

17. motocrash

That's my staple horseradish.Easy to apportion/meter for my tastes.All Beaverton Foods products I've had have been very good.

chopsaw likes this.
  18. indaswamp

Garlic mayo....I'm not a horeradish fan, but I like wasabi. Use to have an old asian lady I could get some fresh....she grew it....

19. indaswamp

Thanks Bear!