Smoked Top Choice shoulder clod..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We do shoulder clod quite often. Do it just like you do your brisket. You won't be disappointed. I am along for the ride on this one, can't wait to see the finish !

HT
Thanks HT! I have just the clod heart and a few scraps that I'm cooking to pull. I'm figuring about 18~20 hours cook time plus another 2~3 hours of rest in a cambro. Going to 197* and then I'll check it.

upload_2019-3-15_15-44-51.png

That's a Big-un!!
Never saw them around here.
Maybe not enough Clodhoppers around this area.:emoji_laughing:
Be back for Viewing.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
Welp, she's done. And WOW! So much flavor! Way better than brisket as far as that goes...

Well hello there clod....been a while since I've seen you and you sure are lookin' good!
IMG_20190315_163437.jpg

cross cut on one of the scraps...
IMG_20190315_163737.jpg

First slices...
IMG_20190315_164913.jpg

Chef jj's au jus..
IMG_20190315_172155.jpg

Chopped...
IMG_20190315_172513.jpg

Up close..
IMG_20190315_172540.jpg

And of course, the obligatory sammich!!!
IMG_20190315_173444.jpg

First impression- this is an awesome cut of meat...the clod... Packed with beefy flavor you would expect from the chuck. I thought this clod heart would be dry, (there was not a lot of fat on the cut to begin with-I saved what I could) but after chopping and blending in some au jus, this chopped beef is just awesome! I highly recommend picking one up if you see one and have a herd of hungry mouths to feed. This one could feed 25 easy.

Well what ever I read from another site is tossed out the window. That looks freak'n fantastic Inda!!! It's now on the short list of things to do.

Point for sure
Chris

They have these at GFS by me , and not bad on the price . Might run up there today .
Whats on the bread / bun . Horseradish ? I just bought some Inglehoffer cream style . Right bite make ya blind . Be good on that beef . Nice cook .

They have these at GFS by me , and not bad on the price . Might run up there today .
Whats on the bread / bun . Horseradish ? I just bought some Inglehoffer cream style . Right bite make ya blind . Be good on that beef . Nice cook .
Garlic mayo....I'm not a horeradish fan, but I like wasabi. Use to have an old asian lady I could get some fresh....she grew it....

Local grocer had a special on pork ribs, 30# case for $19.95....I went to buy one, but they were shiners. Looking around, they also have Beef Shoulder clod for $2.59/lb. (about 20~22# each). It's a huge chunk of meat. I can fit it in my smokehouse, but have never cooked one before. I hear it's more forgiving than a brisket....and I can nail a brisket so....I might pick one up. Any advice from my SMF brethren? Sliced or pulled? what INT would you aim for? Foil or no?
I would slice it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky