1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Beef Ribs for Dad...Challenge Accepted!

Discussion in 'Beef' started by phatbac, Jun 8, 2018.

1. phatbac

phatbac Master of the Pit

Hello!
    My Dad told me he never had good meaty beef ribs. i said let me make you some. He said if they were good it would be first he's ever had. Challenge Accepted!
    I made them with some Weber Chicago seasoning and some Crisco grilling spray as a binder to make the seasoning stick. let them sit overnight and then smoke 'em for 3 and half hours. Here is the results...

Trimmed and seasoned with Chicago Steak Seasoning...
    beefribs1.jpg
    On Black Betty ready to go...
    beefribs2.jpg
    After an hour and a half...
    beefribs3.jpg
    After 3 hours...
    beefribs4.jpg
    3 and half a hours of smoke and they were done!
    beefribs5.jpg

So i took them to my Dad's house. He loved them! He said they were meaty and tender and had a good flavor! Challenge defeated!

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Happy Smoking,
    phatbac (Aaron)

BldEagle, Ishi, bassthumb32 and 9 others like this.
  2. kruizer

kruizer Smoking Fanatic

I would love to find beef ribs like that but they don't seem to be available around here. Looking good.

3. phatbac

Thank you Kruzier....i found half of them at Walmart for $6.50/# then found 4 of them on clearance at Foodlion for $4.50/# when i find them i throw them in the freezer they are awesome to smoke and eat!

Happy Smoking,
    phatbac (Aaron)

73saint likes this.
  4. 73saint

73saint Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Awesome! I took out a huge kryovac of beef ribs this morning. Been in the deep freeze for about 6 months...going on Saturday eve or Sunday.

5. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

Nice job on successfully beating the challenge Aaron. Those look really good and only in 3.5hrs. Last time I made them it was closer to 7-8hrs.

Point for sure.

Chris

6. Bearcarver

Bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Those Look Awesome, Aaron!! Like.
    Hard to find Beef Ribs that nice.
    The only way I can do it is to cut my own from the Prime Ribs when I buy them.
    Then I save them up for an ALL Rib Smoke.
    Like This:
    Smoked Beef Prime Rib Dinos (With Extra Meat)

Bear

7. troutman

troutman Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I love beef ribs, almost better than pork !!! Short ribs and even back ribs are amazingly delicious. I like the way you seasoned yours. Great cook Aaron, hope you made the impression you hoped for and made a new convert to beefy deliciousness !!! LIKE

8. phatbac

thanks!
    have a good smoke with your Beef ribs!

Thank you Chris! I smoked around 280-300 and reverse flow always seems to cook faster.

Happy Smoking,
    phatbac (Aaron)

9. phatbac

thank you bear!
    They were good! I'm sure your Dino cook was awesome i will check the thread for myself!

Thank you for the compliments Troutman. I like to season with beefy steak seasoning so they come out like steak on a stick! im a big fan of beefy goodness!

Happy Smoking,
    phatbac (Aaron)

10. Oh man I wish I could find some nice meaty beef ribs like that. Great job. When Dad is pleased it's golden.

George

11. phatbac

I'm fortunate to have found a good deal esp on the second half! Thanks! Without Dad i wouldn't be the man i am so doing for him is Golden!

Happy Smoking,
    phatbac (Aaron)

12. daricksta

daricksta Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Great job. I'm about to post about my own beef ribs that I smoked yesterday. Like RiversideSmOker, I wish I could find beef ribs as meaty as yours around here. When you see the photos, keep in mind those two racks were the best I could find at their weights.

13. phatbac

Hey i understand. for a long time the only beef ribs i could find were back ribs without much meat (which is why Dad didn't care for them) but once i started finding short ribs i was in business.
    Beef back ribs were what i cut my teeth on doing ribs. i would practice the 3-2-1 method on them over and over because they were cheap. I make a lot of dogs happy because at first they really sucked! Now I'm very comfortable with beef and pork ribs.

Happy Smoking,
    phatbac (Aaron)

14. daricksta

I thought they were short ribs but the bones looked too long, or at least for what I find around here. I set out to cook beef back ribs and I'll do my best to find meatier racks next time. But like you, I prefer beef short ribs since there are so many ways to cook them.

15. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Well they sure looked meaty to me!
    And if Dad liked them, then I guess you showed him that your a real Pitmaster!
    And BTW, congrats on getting a ride on the carousel!!
    Al

16. troutman

troutman Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

We get beef ribs all the time here in Texas. But what's interesting is I found the best beef ribs in a Whole Foods Market right next to my house. They cut them from the chuck which is twice as meaty, into little 3-4" pieces so folks can braise them or make them Thai style. I just asked the meat cutter if he would sell me the whole plates, he hesitated for a moment then said sure no problem. Best ever !!! If there's a Costco or a WFM around your area they always have them, just an FYI.

rib 03.jpg

BldEagle and daricksta like this.
  17. dcecil

dcecil Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Those turned out great Aaron. Very nice job

18. daricksta

Thanks for the tip about finding them at Costco. For some reason I never think of looking for bone-in short ribs there. The only Whole Foods I know of is about 70-75 miles away from my home.

19. phatbac

Thank you AL! and thanks for the carousel ride!

thanks!

Thank you dcecil!

20. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Aaron that meat was FOB while in the smoker Likes
    Richie