Beef Plate???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GaryHibbert

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Anybody have any experience cooking a beef plate. I found one in the freezer--no idea where it came from. I also have no idea what to do with it--sure doesn't look like a great cut of meat. Looks more like potential hamburger. Suggestions would really be appreciated.
Gary

Reactions: JLeonard
Its too late for a pic. Miss Linda crock potted it last night in the hope it would tenderize it--won't know til supper tonight. But I don't have high hopes for it. Probably should have made beef bacon from it, since it unrolled and looked kinda like a pork belly. But I've never made beef bacon so it never crossed my mind.
Gary

Reactions: JLeonard
If it’s a traditional “plate” cut, then it’s from the short rib just behind the brisket, where the fresh side would be on pork. This is where you can get beef bacon or a hanger steak. Should be delicious in the crock, but might be a bit fatty.

Reactions: GaryHibbert
If it’s a traditional “plate” cut, then it’s from the short rib just behind the brisket, where the fresh side would be on pork. This is where you can get beef bacon or a hanger steak. Should be delicious in the crock, but might be a bit fatty.
Yeah, I think that's the cut.
A bit fatty?? Ha, now that's an understatement. WAY to much fat--after looking at it, I would never waste my time making beef bacon from it. Even after being in the pot for 18 hours it was like jerky--so tough that the only way to chew it was to cut it across the grain, each piece being no longer than half an inch. But it was tasty and made great gravy. :emoji_confounded:
Not recommended unless you have a hungry dog.
Gary

So it's beef plate with say 4 large rib bones? If so, this makes excellent Short Ribs in the crock pot. Separate them and you can probably get three in the pot. All of them if you saw each in half.

Short Ribs Braised w/Red Wine - CrockPot

Serving Size: 4
You can substitute chuck roast but after searing for 4 min/side set slow cooker on HIGH and run a minimum 6 hours. 8 hours is better.

Ingredients:

2.5 lbs. beef short ribs (bone-in), what ever fits in crockpot
1 tablespoon olive oil

Veggies:
2 each large carrot, chopped
1 each medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
6-8 sprigs fresh thyme
4-5 sprigs fresh rosemary

Optional:
1 each leek, chopped - white part only
1 each fennel bulb, chopped - core & fronds removed

Braising liquids:
750 milliliters dry red wine - pinot noir, 1 bottle
1/2 cup beef stock, better than beef
3 tablespoons tomato paste, dissolve in stock
1 tablespoon brown sugar, dissolve in stock
1.5 tsp salt & pepper

Gravy & Roux - 4 min stir
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup beef broth, use Better than Bouillon
2 cups strained brazing liquid, defatted
Salt & pepper, to taste

Directions:

1. Chop all the veggies and put in the CrockPot. Lay the rosemary & thyme on top.

2. Pour in 3/4 of the bottle of wine. Dissolve the brown sugar, tomato paste, salt & pepper in the beef stock, stirring to combine then add to the pot.

3. Remove back bone membrane (optional), then season well with salt &pepper. Add of small amount olive oil to a large, heavy skillet on medium heat. Once oil is hot, add the short ribs and sear for 2-3 minutes per side.

NOTE: carefully remove the remaining oil in the pan, use remaining 1/4 bottle of wine to deglaze the bits & pieces then pour into the CrockPot.

4. Add the short ribs in as even of a layer as possible (some will likely stick out and that's ok). Cook on high for 3.5 hours then on low for 2h45m - 3h. Test of tenderness. You can go to 8 hours if needed.

5. Finishing - a smooth rich gravy Remove ribs to a plate and place in warm oven. Strain all the liquid and then defat. Start with a roux (equal parts flour and butter) stirring for 4-5 minutes over medium-low heat.

After the 4 minutes, add the defatted liquid and stir over medium heat to thicken. Stir in Worcestershire & broth. Adjust with salt & pepper to taste. There will be plenty of liquid, you won’t need all of it.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky