Beef Birria Tacos (Bachelor Week)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Gorgeous Joe...just gorgeous. That's one of the most beautiful presentations I've seen here and IMHO very carousel worthy!! I have all the spices needed and the peppers are readily available at Wal Mart believe it or not. One day soon, when we have a nasty, cold day here in Central Texas I am going to be making these. It is bookmarked and readily available based on the weather forecast. This just looks like it may take more than an hour or two in an evening to toss together :emoji_laughing:

John...if you can't find the peppers, shoot me a PM. They are 15 minutes from here and I am through that part of town almost every day. I can stop and grab them for you. Since they are dried they'd ship just fine.

Sharing the love,
Robert

Thank you Robert! Sorry for getting back to you late. I’m back in the real world now.

Well if you make them, let me know how they taste. Just plan to marinade the meat in the sauce overnight (that’s the most consuming part). Other than that, it’s making soup on the stove. Remember to taste and adjust for salt at the end.

I ate the leftovers as a soup the next day. Very rich and filling! I couldn’t finish the big bowl I had pictured in the post below...that’s not usually like me.

Just some info. I have purchased Whole Dried Chiles from the site below for a few years now. Most of the Chiles I have purchased were fresh, aromatic and leathery, not crumbly and dried out...JJ

Thanks for that link JJ. I feel like a kid looking through the Sear’s Wishbook looking at that site! I’m definitely using this for sure.

Thanks again!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Dang Joe,
you've been banging the great eats out, home runs all the the way.
The tacos look fantastic!
Like!

Your recipe is a good one as it includes certain herbs and spices that without which it would just be thin chile or guisado.

I find your end method interesting, as I've always had Birria as a thin stew or thick soup with the cubed or shredded meat in the sauce even when served in tacos.

Thank you John! I was definitely cooking up a storm this past week. I appreciate the like and kind words, it means a lot coming from the king of Mexican cuisine. You’re like the Rick Bayless of the South!

There were a lot of spices and I pretty much had them all on hand so it wasn’t a big or expensive feat to put this all together.

I thought about keeping the shredded meat and broth together but I was concerned about the tacos becoming too soggy. The tortillas were fried just so I could dip them in the consomme...That is really the only reason I made this. Funny how a simple idea turns into something much more.

I added the meat and how much wanted back to the broth the next day and ate it as a soup. I’ve never eaten a soup where I added the raw onion, cabbage and cilantro afterwards. It was pretty nice.

I’ve never eaten a soup where I added the raw onion, cabbage and cilantro afterwards. It was pretty nice.

The same goes in PHO BO, a Vietnamese Beef and Rice Noodle Soup, along with Basil, Thai or Sweet, Spearmint and Fresh Mung Bean Sprouts. The Broth has a light Beef flavor, since you don't brown the meat and is spiced with Coriander, Clove, Cinnamon, Black Cardamom and Star Anise. The the color comes from heavily caramelized, almost burnt, Onion halves and Fresh Ginger.
If you enjoyed the Raw Veg in your Broth, give PHO BO a try...JJ

Reactions: xray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky