Beef Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tjohnson

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Insider
Dec 29, 2009
Savage, MN
Hey All!

Recipe was for Venison Bacon, but I substituted Beef for the Venison.  I made a test batch of 10 pounds before I tried a large batch.  Did not want to waste the meat, if the Beef Bacon SUCKED!  It was GREAT, so I made a large batch.

This was a premix of spices I got from my distributor, and included the cure.

60% Pork Shoulder and 40% Beef Round Roast

Ground the pork and beef.  Added spices to pint water per 15# meat and mixed thoroughly.

Made into (7) 4# loaves, wrapped in stretch wrap and in the fridge for 24 hours.

Out of the fridge and into the smoker for 6 hours of Apple Wood smoke and finished until internal temps hit 160*

Rested overnight, sliced and vac packed.

My 5 year old getting in on the action.  I purchased a full case of Pork Shoulders from SAMS for $1.29/lb. and ground it all up.  Some I used for Beef Bacon and the balance I used for Italian and Breakfast Sausage.  Don't let the cute look fool you, we call him "The Devil Child"!!!!

0cb07b6e_DSCF1684.jpg

Approx. 4# loaves...OOPS!....One Bigger than the other...

d3c11b32_DSCF1697.jpg

Smoked for 6 hours with Apple, but kept going with heat until internal temps hit 160*

89202f89_DSCF1812.jpg

7 of these fat boys waitin' to get sliced

81b2d987_DSCF1813.jpg

Sliced one up for tasters and a little "Adult Beverage"

2a20ad96_DSCF1707.jpg

Test Fry - Nice and lean

08758ceb_DSCF1708.jpg

Next morning fried egg and beef bacon sammies!!!  OMG!!!

2ffefdcf_DSCF1710.jpg

The end result looked like SPAM, but tasted more like salami. Flavor was outstanding!

I "LOVE" any and all bacon, and this Beef Bacon far exceeded my expectations.

Thanks For Looking

Todd

Last edited:
That does look good and I do like spam by the way. Just needs a little hot sauce on there.
icon_smile.gif

SPAM is too salty and I always use hot sauce on it.  When you make your own, you can control the amount of salt & fat.  Because the meat is ground and mixed with the spices, it only takes 24 hours to cure.

I could see making a "Pastrami Loaf" out of this recipe!!

Todd

WOW!  Looks fantastic!  Great pic of the helper, too.  He won't be get'n into any trouble in 10yrs.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Great look'n b-fast sammy, too!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Todd,

That's what I did awhile back, I subbed 50/50 Beef & Pork instead of Venison/Pork. Great stuff!

Must be that "Great Minds.... stuff"

Got to say, helpers don't come any cuter than that one---Don't tell him I said that (swelled head!).

Won't be long the girls will be chasing him all the place!

Mine even looks like yours:

fa94a2df_DSC01169copy.jpg

Thanks for showing,

Bear

Last edited:
Dang, I keep making the mistake of looking at threads like this before I've eaten!

Looks terrific. Is the idea that you mix the cure in with the ground meat and that's why it cures so quickly?

Thanks for sharing!

Hmmmmm......Fried Spam, a couple of eggs, and two scoops rice, ketchup and tobasco on the side....Good Morning from Maui !

icon_cool.gif

Now thats some sweet looking bacon there Todd. I really do like the whole idea but beef bacon. It could be a change of pace for us.  

This stuff is so cheap easy to make. 

Again, you can control the amount of salt in the meat, but you need some fat for a binder.

Next time I'm gonna make a "Maple Flavored Bacon", and I can see making a "Garlic" or a "CBP" version.

TJ

Hmmmmm......Fried Spam, a couple of eggs, and two scoops rice, ketchup and tobasco on the side....Good Morning from Maui !

Val, I sent you some of the spice mix and cure, did you try it yet?

TJ

That looks real tasty.

But, I have a question.  How is that considered "bacon"?
I thought about that too.

I think Curley's started it with their "Venison Bacon" (I could be wrong), which is a pre-mix (with cure) for 25 pounds of about half Venison & half pork.

They call it Venison Bacon.

To me it looks like "Sizzlean", if you remember that stuff from years ago, but personally, I think it tastes more like "Bag Sausage" or "Ring Bologna".

It is good though.

Bear

Looks like SPAM and tastes like salami.....Go Figure!

TJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky