Beef back ribs...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bgaviator

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 9, 2010
Are beef back ribs worth smoking? Our Kroger seems to always have them lately, and they don't seem too expensive. I know there's not a ton of meat on these things, but I'm not sure i'm wanting to drop the $ they charge for the large plate ribs like you can get at Sams. If they're worth doing, how would you go about cooking them....times and temp, as well as seasoning? Wrap or no wrap? I currently have a ton of difference seasonings on hand including Meat Church Holy Cow, Gospel, Holy Gospel....Oakridge Black Ops. Thanks

Are beef back ribs worth smoking? Our Kroger seems to always have them lately, and they don't seem too expensive. I know there's not a ton of meat on these things, but I'm not sure i'm wanting to drop the $ they charge for the large plate ribs like you can get at Sams. If they're worth doing, how would you go about cooking them....times and temp, as well as seasoning? Wrap or no wrap? I currently have a ton of difference seasonings on hand including Meat Church Holy Cow, Gospel, Holy Gospel....Oakridge Black Ops. Thanks

I recently cooked 3.75 lbs at 250 for 4 hours last two wrapped. Wasn't reallly impressed. Would rather spend same cash on porkkies.

• Sad
Reactions: bgaviator
BGA, I have seen some great posts on this site about beef ribs that looked delicious.The ribs were very meaty, beef ribs in my area are mostly bone and I stopped doing them. They were tasty but not enough meat to keep doing them. I was doing a 2-1-1 sorta deal at 225* with different rubs.

Beef ribs are not like pork ribs in that you don't cook them to time, you cook them to temp/tenderness. Run them to 201-208 or until tender similar to brisket rules. Def worth trying at least once.

I love the taste of beef ribs but they just seen to get less and less meat on them and I've just decided to stop at least for now. I think one of the good things is if you are looking for a quicker smoke then sure but I just got tired of the price vs meat issue.

There's often not much meat on back ribs, but what's there is very tasty - prime rib meat. If the price is right then I'll get them. Also great for making beef/barley soup.

Last edited:
Beef ribs are not like pork ribs in that you don't cook them to time, you cook them to temp/tenderness.

I would never cook pork ribs to time or temp - I always go by tenderness for all ribs and other tough BBQ meats.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky