• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Beef Back Ribs on WSM

rvachewlover

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 26, 2016
Did some beef back ribs yesterday on the WSM. I found some Kingsford Pro on sale at Costco and wanted to see how she goes. Rubbed the ribs with what I believe was my "Quick Fix" rub; really just found a canister in the spice cabinet that I had long forgotten about. Smoked at 250 for ~4 hours with about five chunks of mesquite wood. The package came with two slabs; the first we had as an appetizer and the second we had as dessert with Mexican in-between!

I really think the rub just knocked this one out the park. If it wasn't my quick fix recipe I'm really disappointed because I don't know how to perfectly replicate it. This rub tasted like it had some garlic in it. The heat from the wood coupled with the pepper gave way to the sweet and back of the tongue bitterness of the cocoa powder; all while the salt leaves your mouth watering for another bite.

Quick Fix Rub

Equal Parts (think cups)
Salt
Sugar
Pepper

Lesser Equal Parts (think tablespoons)
Cocoa Powder
Instant Coffee or Fresh coffee grounds

Season to taste (think teaspoons)
Cumin
Cayenne
Garlic powder

Attachments

kawboy

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 20, 2015
Mmmm…..My favorite thing to smoke. Those look wonderful!

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Those are some fine looking ribs!!
Al

pushok2018

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 12, 2017
Oh, man... I am salivating while looking at your pick... Looks so juicy and...tasty! Great job!

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Nice Ribs, RVA !!
Looks Mighty Tasty!
Like.

Bear

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Great job on those ribs.

Warren

jcam222

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
They look great! Your quick rub is something I’d like. Cocoa and coffee are amazing on beef.

kit s

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Sep 2, 2017
Did some beef back ribs yesterday on the WSM. I found some Kingsford Pro on sale at Costco and wanted to see how she goes. Rubbed the ribs with what I believe was my "Quick Fix" rub; really just found a canister in the spice cabinet that I had long forgotten about. Smoked at 250 for ~4 hours with about five chunks of mesquite wood. The package came with two slabs; the first we had as an appetizer and the second we had as dessert with Mexican in-between!

I really think the rub just knocked this one out the park. If it wasn't my quick fix recipe I'm really disappointed because I don't know how to perfectly replicate it. This rub tasted like it had some garlic in it. The heat from the wood coupled with the pepper gave way to the sweet and back of the tongue bitterness of the cocoa powder; all while the salt leaves your mouth watering for another bite.

Quick Fix Rub

Equal Parts (think cups)
Salt
Sugar
Pepper

Lesser Equal Parts (think tablespoons)
Cocoa Powder
Instant Coffee or Fresh coffee grounds

Season to taste (think teaspoons)
Cumin
Cayenne
Garlic powder
Were you get the ribs...gees they look good...of course the job you did on them only added to their yummy look.

Preacher Man

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Sep 28, 2018
Were you get the ribs...gees they look good...of course the job you did on them only added to their yummy look.
I can find these at WinCo pretty regularly. I also find them quite a bit at my local grocer during the holidays when they are pushing out boneless prime rib roasts and sell the bones for some added profit.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.