Beef Back Ribs on WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rvachewlover

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 26, 2016
Richmond, Va
Did some beef back ribs yesterday on the WSM. I found some Kingsford Pro on sale at Costco and wanted to see how she goes. Rubbed the ribs with what I believe was my "Quick Fix" rub; really just found a canister in the spice cabinet that I had long forgotten about. Smoked at 250 for ~4 hours with about five chunks of mesquite wood. The package came with two slabs; the first we had as an appetizer and the second we had as dessert with Mexican in-between!

I really think the rub just knocked this one out the park. If it wasn't my quick fix recipe I'm really disappointed because I don't know how to perfectly replicate it. This rub tasted like it had some garlic in it. The heat from the wood coupled with the pepper gave way to the sweet and back of the tongue bitterness of the cocoa powder; all while the salt leaves your mouth watering for another bite.

Quick Fix Rub

Equal Parts (think cups)
Salt
Sugar
Pepper

Lesser Equal Parts (think tablespoons)
Cocoa Powder
Instant Coffee or Fresh coffee grounds

Season to taste (think teaspoons)
Cumin
Cayenne
Garlic powder

Attachments

• IMG_3818.jpeg
    IMG_3818.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_3817.jpeg
    IMG_3817.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 134
They look great! Your quick rub is something I’d like. Cocoa and coffee are amazing on beef.

Did some beef back ribs yesterday on the WSM. I found some Kingsford Pro on sale at Costco and wanted to see how she goes. Rubbed the ribs with what I believe was my "Quick Fix" rub; really just found a canister in the spice cabinet that I had long forgotten about. Smoked at 250 for ~4 hours with about five chunks of mesquite wood. The package came with two slabs; the first we had as an appetizer and the second we had as dessert with Mexican in-between!

I really think the rub just knocked this one out the park. If it wasn't my quick fix recipe I'm really disappointed because I don't know how to perfectly replicate it. This rub tasted like it had some garlic in it. The heat from the wood coupled with the pepper gave way to the sweet and back of the tongue bitterness of the cocoa powder; all while the salt leaves your mouth watering for another bite.

Quick Fix Rub

Equal Parts (think cups)
Salt
Sugar
Pepper

Lesser Equal Parts (think tablespoons)
Cocoa Powder
Instant Coffee or Fresh coffee grounds

Season to taste (think teaspoons)
Cumin
Cayenne
Garlic powder
Were you get the ribs...gees they look good...of course the job you did on them only added to their yummy look.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky