BDSkelly ~ NY Strips. First Burn on the Lodge Sportsman Grill / Sumo Hibachi

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Man that looks good, nice job!  
canada-flag-14.gif

points1.png
Thanks for the point! b

They are great little grills. In the wintertime we put ours in the fireplace and cook away......
Hey Roger

GREAT idea   I assume you have a No Grilling policy on December 24th?

thanks b

Last edited:
Love your little hibachi, Brian! Steaks look fantastic!
Thank you Jay. For those evenings I'm cooking just for the two of us this little guy will be my go to machine. I really like it.  And I think its a good value too given that its built like a tank! 

b

If you have long kebab skewers, you can lay them across the top, in place of the grate. This was my first try; the skewers were too short to go across the long way so I used the grate to support the tips. This showed me that the skewers need to be balanced. Next time I'll use flat skewers that won't roll over.

Edited to add, that's a bottle of ghost pepper BBQ sauce out of Athens Ohio in the background.

Last edited:
Great steaks Brian!  I love a cast iron skillet steak for that sear, and a grilled steak for the smokiness.  Looks like the best of both worlds.

Mike 

Great steaks Brian!  I love a cast iron skillet steak for that sear, and a grilled steak for the smokiness.  Looks like the best of both worlds.

Mike 
Thanks Mike. Agreed. Best of both worlds. b

Encore ribeye steaks!  LOL  Just returned home from 2 back to back trade shows in Las Vegas. Kissed the wife, then lit a fire on the Sumo! Out of all the equipment I have... This little guy has won my heart!

B

Looking great Brian!  
drool.gif

My Fiance was ready to buy me one for Christmas, but I told her to wait.  I am worried about the cast iron grates being outside.  How much prep is involved to get the grate free of rust prior to cooking?  If I clean and season with cooking oil after cooking, will they stay rust free?  Sorry about all the questions when you're cooking some awesome steaks!  Reply when you can.  
thumb1.gif

Mike

Looking great Brian!  
drool.gif

My Fiance was ready to buy me one for Christmas, but I told her to wait.  I am worried about the cast iron grates being outside.  How much prep is involved to get the grate free of rust prior to cooking?  If I clean and season with cooking oil after cooking, will they stay rust free?  Sorry about all the questions when you're cooking some awesome steaks!  Reply when you can.  
thumb1.gif

Mike
Howdy Mike

No need to worry about the rust. After the coals die just give the grate a light scrub with warm soapy water.  Then give it a light coat with a spray cooking oil. I keep my grate inside right next to the wife's cookie sheets!!!

Remember this....  If there will be 2 cooks in the family then mark your spot now my friend. You will thank me 25 years from now. Congratulations on the soon to be wedding. Best thing I ever did.

B

Last edited:
Thanks B!  It's back on the gift list, I'm the only cook, but space for my stuff is still at a premium.  Thanks for the warm wishes, we've been together for 7 years, no rush to wed. Been there, done that, three times already!   If I'm still around 25 years from now, I will definitely thank you!  
icon_mrgreen.gif

Mike

One thing that doesn't show in the pics - it has three legs, not four, like a milking stool would have. That way it can sit steady on an uneven surface.

One thing that doesn't show in the pics - it has three legs, not four, like a milking stool would have. That way it can sit steady on an uneven surface.
Why does a milking stool have only three legs? Because the cow has the udder.

Badda dump de dump....

battery-062.gif

Reactions: bdskelly
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky