BD's Pre Holiday Smoked Turkey. A Foamheart Request

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks BD. I'm providing the turkey for our family's Thanksgiving this year. (Wife's idea) looks like a perfect recipe for this rookie to steal, uh him I mean use.:yahoo:
I'll let you know if the family throws compliments or stones! :drool
Thanks again

Thanks BD. I'm providing the turkey for our family's Thanksgiving this year. (Wife's idea) looks like a perfect recipe for this rookie to steal, uh him I mean use.
yahoo.gif

I'll let you know if the family throws compliments or stones!
drool.gif

Thanks again
No need to steal. It's posted here for the taking Ducker!  Good luck with your smoke. Pay close attention to the internal temp of the bird.  I know you can do it!

And welcome to the forum! We are happy to have ya. 

Brian

BD that looks like a fine bird you have done there my friend.  I spend a fair amount of time working in TX this year south of Houston in the Pasadena / La Porte area.   Had some pretty good meals down there and this reminds me of some of them.  

Do you have a ballpark time per pound scale at a given temperature?  I skimmed through this thread and I know that 165 is the magic number, and I generally run 2 thermocouples plus the lid thermometer on my WSM smoker.   One thermocouple I mount on a jig a few inches below the cooking grate and one in the meat.  I'm new at the whole smoker thing mysef but have a 19 lb bird in the freezer that I'm looking to do next weekend.   (Cant seem to get the wife to buy them any smaller - and its not going to go to waste).   

thanks much

Jeff

BD that looks like a fine bird you have done there my friend.  I spend a fair amount of time working in TX this year south of Houston in the Pasadena / La Porte area.   Had some pretty good meals down there and this reminds me of some of them.  

Do you have a ballpark time per pound scale at a given temperature?  I skimmed through this thread and I know that 165 is the magic number, and I generally run 2 thermocouples plus the lid thermometer on my WSM smoker.   One thermocouple I mount on a jig a few inches below the cooking grate and one in the meat.  I'm new at the whole smoker thing mysef but have a 19 lb bird in the freezer that I'm looking to do next weekend.   (Cant seem to get the wife to buy them any smaller - and its not going to go to waste).   

thanks much

Jeff
Howdy Bass.  Thanks for the kind words. 

At a smoker temp of 250 you'd plan on about 30 minutes a pound for your bird. Maybe a little less.. Maybe a little more.... depending on the how well the smoker temp is regulated....  outside temp...  So at 19 pounds I'd plan on starting the bird 9 hours before planned dinner time. That will allow some time to take it off the fire and let it sit to get all those good turkey juices distributed around the meat.  Good luck and welcome to the forum! 

When you are letting it rest, are you letting it rest breast side up or breast side down? I read (somewhere) that letting it rest breast side down keeps the juices in the breast meat. Although you injected your bird, vs. brining, so the juice may escape being upside down. I may have answered my own question...

Last edited:

When you are letting it rest, are you letting it rest breast side up or breast side down? I read (somewhere) that letting it rest breast side down keeps the juices in the breast meat. Although you injected your bird, vs. brining, so the juice may escape being upside down. I may have answered my own question...
Howdy Miller. Thanks for the question. I've actually tried resting turkey or as mom would say "loaf" with breast up and down.  I can't tell a difference one way or another. So I rest it just like it came off the grate.. UP. 

Good luck .  And remember to cook the bird until the breast internal temp is 165 degrees. Too low and the bird will be under cooked and potentially dangerous to eat.  Cooking much higher than 165 the meat tends to dry out.  So keep an eye on it as you get close to the right temp. 

We'll be watching. B

The only time I've stuff a bird with fruit is when I do Char siu duck and then I put oranges and ginger with the chatr siu rub in the cavity.

bells just went off in my head and now my stomach is grumbling...

would be so kind as to share your recipe and technique?

thanks,

brian

The only time I've stuff a bird with fruit is when I do Char siu duck and then I put oranges and ginger with the chatr siu rub in the cavity.

bells just went off in my head and now my stomach is grumbling...
would be so kind as to share your recipe and technique?

thanks,
brian

I noh how to do that! Did it for years professionally...

The breast temp is now 165 degrees. Cooking time for this 13 pound bird took 7 hours at 230 degrees.  Time to take the bird off the grate. Now I ask ya... Is that I nice looking bird? 

I cover the bird with foil and let it loaf on the counter for about 45 minutes to an hour.  This lets the juices redistribute into the meat. 
I'm frying one and smoking one on Sunday and I am completely stealing your idea. I'm going to use a honey, garlic injection but I love the idea of the fruit. Thanks :-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky