BBB

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Shotgun2

Original poster
Jan 13, 2019
Athens ga
Started bbb yesterday and I just realized that I didn’t put enough Morton’s Tq on two pieces but not sure now what should I do

Started bbb yesterday and I just realized that I didn’t put enough Morton’s Tq on two pieces but not sure now what should I do

Put it on now and add the time difference to the finished time
Richie

Just had surgery Wednesday and my head a little blurry still from the pain meds dang it I hope I didn’t mess it up if I bring the internal temperature up to 160 will it still be good in ten days when I get it out of the fridge

At 160 degrees? Yeah, it'll be done alright.
I agree about the pain meds. Sounds like you are curing in the oven, not the fridge.
Your milk and beer is going to be hot.

Adjust your TQ, add a day, cut back on the pain meds. :emoji_wink:

I agree about the pain meds. Sounds like you are curing in the oven, not the fridge.

The pain meds are down the drain and I did make sure the meat went in the fridge haha been in a fog since Wednesday night if it doesn’t work I’ll try again probably just second guessing myself

Yeah I just went back and read my post I meant after ten days in the fridge then smoke until It reaches 160 degrees

Your fine, Shotgun2, I just wanted to pull your leg.:emoji_laughing:

My attempt at BBB came out salty, to my taste. Sad, but no problem. Gave me plenty of Bacon for Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans. :emoji_wink:

I want to fry it after it’s smoked what temp should I get it to if it’s not cured correctly

If you are in doubt about it being cure cook it to 160.you should be able to see if it is cured when you cut it,to do a fry test.Post a pic when you do someone will be able to help you,I can't assure you I will be online as I am moving.
If it is cured all the way thru you can cold smoke it or stop it at 130*
Richie

Your fine, Shotgun2, I just wanted to pull your leg.:emoji_laughing:

My attempt at BBB came out salty, to my taste. Sad, but no problem. Gave me plenty of Bacon for Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans. :emoji_wink:
No problem sonny that’s my dads name I had my guts pulled on enough Wednesday glad it was my leg you were pulling

If you are in doubt about it being cure cook it to 160.you should be able to see if it is cured when you cut it,to do a fry test.Post a pic when you do someone will be able to help you,I can't assure you I will be online as I am moving.
If it is cured all the way thru you can cold smoke it or stop it at 130*
Richie
Thanks man I’m sure I’ll be able to tell if it’s cured I’m gonna do the fry test I could have picked a better time to do this I started Canadian bacon and dried beef last Saturday in the fridge curing going to pull that out and smoke it Monday I know I got that right and I will post pictures man thanks a lot

Thanks man I’m sure I’ll be able to tell if it’s cured I’m gonna do the fry test I could have picked a better time to do this I started Canadian bacon and dried beef last Saturday in the fridge curing going to pull that out and smoke it Monday I know I got that right and I will post pictures man thanks a lot
It is my first time trying to cure any meats

Cold smoking is smoking at <100 degrees.
I've modified my smokers to operate on a PID, and I set it for 68 degrees to smoke.
Then smoke for 6 hours, which suits our taste.
But when I cold smoke, the highest it can get is around, or below my set temp.
(Edit In: I use a Mailbox Mod all the time. So cooler, cleaned smoke.)
Then it gets refrigerated for several days (5-6) to age and let the smoke penetrate.
After that, I slice it and package it in vacuum bagging.

I use to do 1 pound packages. But noticed the wife was cutting my long slices in half to cook.
So I got ahead of her, make half slices, and half pound bags. Works better for me, too.
Easier to slice, fits in 8" x 8" bags, and if she wants more, just pull two or more packages.

I cut a slab in half across the grain, then slice it so it looks like good old bacon.

But I know when it is cooked, there ain't nothin left alive on my bacon.

Last edited:
43770BF0-D933-4EB2-84BD-DE2D662E006F.jpeg
43770BF0-D933-4EB2-84BD-DE2D662E006F.jpeg

Attachments

• 492E9CC5-A33F-4CB8-8D7D-03C155CD80FF.jpeg
    492E9CC5-A33F-4CB8-8D7D-03C155CD80FF.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 4
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky