Basic Pulled Pork Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So I wanted to do a test run with a pork butt on my PBC, just to try and get an idea for the timing. Fired up the PBC and had the butt seasoned and on at 9:50am, internal temperature read at 39F, and had a spot that was still a little frozen. I set an hourly timer to check internal temperature, so I could take notes.

9:50 - 39F

10:50 - 113F

11:40 - 176F

11:45 - 183F Wrapped in foil

12:30 - 210F Towel and Cooler

1:30ish(we were hungry) - Ate

First let me say, it was delicious. Tender, juicy, and flavorful. The butt was a small one, bone out. I had picked up for the intent of testing, and weighed in at 3.1lbs To me, it just seemed like the cook time went really fast, and I never hit any plateau. Again, it was really delicious, I'm just leery of doing either two or three 3lbs again, or grabbing a big 8lb and my times being completely off. Causing my to miss the lunch serve time.

One picture of the leftovers.
View media item 465989
Big cuts of meat are harder to anticipate finishing times with the inevitable stall period. If you figure 1.33hrs./lb. Then add a few more hours just to be safe and hold the finished butt in a cooler wrapped in towels till you pull/slice it is a safe way to make sure it's ready at a certain time. I do it the day before or when I can so if I have people over I can visit rather than run around. There's always something to do when you have guests that cut into visiting time other than waiting for the main course to finish cooking.
-Kurt

I have a Cajun Injector Electric Smoker,I am smoking a 5.18lb bone in pork butt at 225 deg for 9 hours and it won't get over 147 deg. I put in a 3.95 lbs pork loin 4 hours ago with it its at 137 deg. Its not gonna be done by dinner time for Mothers day,now I gotta take some folks that are coming over out to eat,what did I do wrong,very frustrated right now. Any ideas? 1/4 cup of apple wood chips every 30 to 45 minutes,sprayed with 3 to 1 apple juice and captain morgan

I have a Cajun Injector Electric Smoker,I am smoking a 5.18lb bone in pork butt at 225 deg for 9 hours and it won't get over 147 deg. I put in a 3.95 lbs pork loin 4 hours ago with it its at 137 deg. Its not gonna be done by dinner time for Mothers day,now I gotta take some folks that are coming over out to eat,what did I do wrong,very frustrated right now. Any ideas? 1/4 cup of apple wood chips every 30 to 45 minutes,sprayed with 3 to 1 apple juice and captain morgan
This is nothing more than "the stall." I can give you links to various articles describing the science behind it, but you didn't do anything wrong. It happens because the moisture released by the meat cools it just like sweat cools you down on a hot day. Depending on the temperature of your smoker, the size of the meat cut, the amount of air going through the smoker, the amount of moisture in the smoker, etc., you get to a point where the evaporative cooling exactly equals the heat going into the meat, and so the internal temperature stops rising. This will continue until one of three things happens:

1. The meat runs out of moisture. Lots of people "wait out the stall" by waiting for the evaporative cooling to slow down. They like the result because they get more bark, but since the stall can last for 4-5 hours (or more), you have to have patience.

2. Raise the smoker temperature. Unfortunately, an electric like you and I have (I own an MES 30") can't get really, really hot, so this is not an option for you. However, raising the temperature to the maximum will help a little bit.

3. Wrap the meat in foil. This is what most people do. It is guaranteed to work. You will get almost instant results, and the temperature will resume a normal upward path within fifteen minutes of adding the foil.

If you do wrap, you don't need to add any more smoke chips after wrapping because the smoke won't penetrate the aluminum foil.

I just did another pulled pork about three days ago. I started it at 4:00 in the morning, hoping to have enough time to get through the stall by 6:00 p.m. (with an hour to let it rest before 7:00 p.m. dinner). However, even with that extra time, I still needed to foil.

I have found that the best way to "foil" is to actually use a disposable aluminum pan. You can get a huge supply of these, for under $10, at Costco. I put this pan under the pork while it is cooking, and it catches all the drips. When it comes time to wrap, I slide both racks out at the same time (the one above with the meat, and the one below with the pan), and then slide the meat off the top rack into the pan. I then put foil over that, snaking the thermometer lead out the back. There is no reason whatsoever to get the foil right next to the meat because as long as you don't let much moisture escape, the covered pan will go immediately to 100% humidity, and all evaporative cooling will cease. So, just cover the pan and wrap the foil tight around the edges.

My cooler is just the same size as these big disposable pans, so I simply take the entire covered pan out of the smoker when the internal temp gets to 200-205, and then drop the whole thing into the cooler. This is another great reason to use the pan. No downside to it. Also, it really saves time on cleanup.

Here are the notes from my pork butt smoke from four days ago. I think the shoulder was about 8-9 pounds (I forgot to weigh it before hand). There is a big gap between the starting time and my first measurement because I was asleep. Because I used my AMNPS for smoke, I didn't need to keep feeding chips into my electric.

Time     Temperature

0:00       34

4:30     118

5:30     129

6:50     140

8:00     145

9:00     147  (The stall started early. I raised the temp from 225 to 250 at this point)

10:00    153

11:00    156 (I dropped the butt into the pan and covered with foil)

12:00    174

13:00    201 (pulled from the smoker and put into a cooler)

The internal temp measured 198 (Thermapen reading) by the time I fooled around and actually got it into the cooler. One hour later it was 189, so the "cooler" did a pretty good job of maintaining the temperature. I poured off all the juice into a defatter. I then pulled the pork, added finishing sauce, and served with the defatted drippings. These drippings are better than any BBQ sauce, IMHO, although I also like Jeff's "Goodness Gracious Sakes Alive" BBQ sauce with pulled pork, and highly recommend that you purchase his recipe.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: chubbyt
Yours is one of those unfortunate stories that points out the major flaw in accepting 225° as the temperature at which to cook BBQ.

There are so many people that post similar experiences that at some point someone on this forum has to realize that the basic tenet of low and slow is a hindrance to success for so many people new to the BBQ world.

I have advocated cooking butts and other large cuts of meat at 280°-325° for about three years now, even in this very thread. I do so for three main reasons-

1. There is no "stall" which is the problem you are having.

2. It makes the cook more predictable, I know that if I cook a butt at 300° it will be done at a rate of 1 hour per pound of meat, thus your 5 pounder would have taken 5 hours.

3. The most important reason, you and your guests would be eating on time with no worries.

So the next time you cook a butt turn up the temperature on that electric pit of yours to the highest setting, or 300° if it can go that high,( most max out at 275°.)

As a side note- pork loin is done at 145° so when you posted you were almost there.

Good luck in the future
icon14.gif

As a side note- pork loin is done at 145° so when you posted you were almost there.
Done, yes. But could you pull it apart? I doubt it. Also, at that temperature very little fat would have rendered out, and given how much fat is layered throughout a shoulder or butt, I don't think the result would be very appetizing.

I have no problem cooking lean chops to low temps that would have made my mother cringe (like most of the "greatest generation," she grew up worrying about trichinosis) but I wouldn't want to finish spareribs or this cut at a temperature of only 145°.

However, maybe you were making a different point.

Done, yes. But could you pull it apart? I doubt it. Also, at that temperature very little fat would have rendered out, and given how much fat is layered throughout a shoulder or butt, I don't think the result would be very appetizing.

I have no problem cooking lean chops to low temps that would have made my mother cringe (like most of the "greatest generation," she grew up worrying about trichinosis) but I wouldn't want to finish spareribs or this cut at a temperature of only 145°.

However, maybe you were making a different point.
Pulling a pork loin will be nigh on impossible no matter what temperature it reaches if you are cooking on a BBQ pit, if you want pulled pork from a pork loin it needs covered in sauce and cooked all day in the crock pot. Pork loin is a very lean cut with almost no fat.

So, yes we are making vastly different points.

Pulling a pork loin will be nigh on impossible no matter what temperature it reaches if you are cooking on a BBQ pit, if you want pulled pork from a pork loin it needs covered in sauce and cooked all day in the crock pot. Pork loin is a very lean cut with almost no fat.

So, yes we are making vastly different points.
I am still confused. My reason for posting is that you seemed to suggest that the person shouldn't worry about cooking his pork shoulder (not a loin or chop) to 200 degrees, and that he could stop his cooking any time after the pork got to 140 degrees. My reply was intended to question what I thought you were saying because I don't think you can pull any meat -- loin, chop, butt, shoulder, pork, chicken, or beef -- unless it has been cooked to a high enough temperature to break down the meat fibers. Yes, I know that cooking meat for a really long time at low temperatures does result in tender meat, but "tender" does not necessarily mean that it can easily be pulled apart.

The only reason I even mentioned pork chops (I did not mention loin, so I don't know where that came from), was to agree with your statement that 140 degrees was a sufficient temperature for safety and doneness, even though many sources state that pork should be cooked to a much higher temperature.

So my only point was that, yes, the pork would be done and you could serve it, but that at 140 degrees a pork shoulder or butt would likely contain horrible amounts of un-rendered fat, and that it would not pull apart very easily.

Yours is one of those unfortunate stories that points out the major flaw in accepting 225° as the temperature at which to cook BBQ.

There are so many people that post similar experiences that at some point someone on this forum has to realize that the basic tenet of low and slow is a hindrance to success for so many people new to the BBQ world.

I have advocated cooking butts and other large cuts of meat at 280°-325° for about three years now, even in this very thread. I do so for three main reasons-

1. There is no "stall" which is the problem you are having.

2. It makes the cook more predictable, I know that if I cook a butt at 300° it will be done at a rate of 1 hour per pound of meat, thus your 5 pounder would have taken 5 hours.

3. The most important reason, you and your guests would be eating on time with no worries.

So the next time you cook a butt turn up the temperature on that electric pit of yours to the highest setting, or 300° if it can go that high,( most max out at 275°.)

Good luck in the future
icon14.gif
 I couldn't agree more, and to take Cliffcarters reply a step further, cooking a large piece of whole muscle meat at that low of a temp can also be unsafe, did you note when you broke the 140° temp on the pork? You done nothing wrong unless you were in the Danger Zone to long! Things like Ribs are fine for 225° For folks that like to cook that low I will tell them to run the temps @ at least 275° just to get out of the danger zone then dial it back.

Personally I like doing Butts/Picnics at 275° with 250 being the absolute lowest temp.

As mentioned before foiling will get you through the stall when cooking at lower temps, I foil... get through the stall then unfoil, I have never been displeased with a good bark.

Most folks will tell you not to foil because you get less bark, this is not the case with me anyhow. I like to foil the stall and reserve the drippings caught in the foil for a finishing sauce, some folks will also cut the pork into thinner sections, I just done this Saturday to Hasten a cook.

Cook time aren't always dictated solely by weight, Thickness places a big role in cook time, also removing the bone will hasten the cook a bit, bones are not a good conductor of heat, removing the fat cap and false caps on butts will also help with cook time.

If you have concerns smoking at higher temps, read this, this is when I switched to a higher heat...the only difference running higher temps is you have to watch your rubs, sugars burn so you want to watch your sugars in the rub and mops. You can also use the foil method to control your bark.

Last edited:

I am still confused. My reason for posting is that you seemed to suggest that the person shouldn't worry about cooking his pork shoulder (not a loin or chop) to 200 degrees, and that he could stop his cooking any time after the pork got to 140 degrees. My reply was intended to question what I thought you were saying because I don't think you can pull any meat -- loin, chop, butt, shoulder, pork, chicken, or beef -- unless it has been cooked to a high enough temperature to break down the meat fibers. Yes, I know that cooking meat for a really long time at low temperatures does result in tender meat, but "tender" does not necessarily mean that it can easily be pulled apart.

The only reason I even mentioned pork chops (I did not mention loin, so I don't know where that came from), was to agree with your statement that 140 degrees was a sufficient temperature for safety and doneness, even though many sources state that pork should be cooked to a much higher temperature.

So my only point was that, yes, the pork would be done and you could serve it, but that at 140 degrees a pork shoulder or butt would likely contain horrible amounts of un-rendered fat, and that it would not pull apart very easily.
I actually said nothing about the IT of the butt, only the loin. I don't understand how you misconstrued the statement on the IT of the loin to apply to the butt.

I actually said nothing about the IT of the butt, only the loin. I don't understand how you misconstrued the statement on the IT of the loin to apply to the butt.
OK, I now understand where the confusion between us comes from.

In ChubbT's post two days ago he said:
 I have a Cajun Injector Electric Smoker,I am smoking a 5.18lb bone in pork butt at 225 deg for 9 hours and it won't get over 147 deg. I put in a 3.95 lbs pork loin 4 hours ago with it its at 137 deg.
So, he was cooking two pieces of meat. However, since this is a thread about pulled pork, I thought the entire issue here was the pork butt, especially when he then said:
 Its not gonna be done by dinner time for Mothers day,
It seemed clear to me that the antecedent (remember high school English?) of "its" was the pulled pork, not the loin because he said that it was the pork butt that wouldn't get past 147 degrees. So, quite frankly, I completely ignored the pork loin because I didn't think he was asking about that.

However, I now completely understand your advice, which was to serve the loin because it was almost done, and just let the pork butt finish whenever it was ready, with the advice (same as I gave) that he could speed things up by increasing the smoker temp.

Doing my first one right now. I'm pretty stoked about all of the great information here. I'm doing low and slow. 225. Should take around 12 hours. What is the temperature of the stall?

Doing my first one right now. I'm pretty stoked about all of the great information here. I'm doing low and slow. 225. Should take around 12 hours. What is the temperature of the stall?
Somewhere between 145 and 160. It depends on the size of the meat, on how big your smoker is, and lots of other things. If you are smoking a small chunk of meat (3-4 pounds), you may not have much of a stall.

Just thought I would mention you do a lot more work than I do smoking butts.

I have smoked a ton of port butts for home, parties and benefits..

I use a cookshack model 150 for smoking butts and briskets.I also have a pellet grill/smoker that I use for ribs and things that don't take all night or day.

The day before I wash it off and criss cross cuts on the fat cap.  put on the rub and wrap it up and put it in the fridge.  I smoke the butt fat cap up at 225 for usually about 15 hours or internal temp of 190.  I never open the smoker door once it is started.  I seems to be about the same amount even if I am smoking 5 or 6.  Never smoked one that I wasn't proud of. Almost forgot, I inject apple juice before wrapping it up the day before and I use hickory.

My first one is in the smoker now. Thanks for this sticky - the tips hopefully will result in some yummy pork goodness tonight!

Good luck to you. Following the information in this thread helped me immensely last year when I did my first one. Since then, I've done a number of them and they have all turned out great.

I've got my first real one rubbed down and in the fridge. Going in the smoke as soon as I wake up tomorrow. Hope it goes well! Gonna try ribs again at the same time. I haven't had any luck with them yet so I'm giving it another try.

This is nothing more than "the stall." I can give you links to various articles describing the science behind it, but you didn't do anything wrong. It happens because the moisture released by the meat cools it just like sweat cools you down on a hot day. Depending on the temperature of your smoker, the size of the meat cut, the amount of air going through the smoker, the amount of moisture in the smoker, etc., you get to a point where the evaporative cooling exactly equals the heat going into the meat, and so the internal temperature stops rising. This will continue until one of three things happens:

1. The meat runs out of moisture. Lots of people "wait out the stall" by waiting for the evaporative cooling to slow down. They like the result because they get more bark, but since the stall can last for 4-5 hours (or more), you have to have patience.

2. Raise the smoker temperature. Unfortunately, an electric like you and I have (I own an MES 30") can't get really, really hot, so this is not an option for you. However, raising the temperature to the maximum will help a little bit.

3. Wrap the meat in foil. This is what most people do. It is guaranteed to work. You will get almost instant results, and the temperature will resume a normal upward path within fifteen minutes of adding the foil.

If you do wrap, you don't need to add any more smoke chips after wrapping because the smoke won't penetrate the aluminum foil.

I just did another pulled pork about three days ago. I started it at 4:00 in the morning, hoping to have enough time to get through the stall by 6:00 p.m. (with an hour to let it rest before 7:00 p.m. dinner). However, even with that extra time, I still needed to foil.

I have found that the best way to "foil" is to actually use a disposable aluminum pan. You can get a huge supply of these, for under $10, at Costco. I put this pan under the pork while it is cooking, and it catches all the drips. When it comes time to wrap, I slide both racks out at the same time (the one above with the meat, and the one below with the pan), and then slide the meat off the top rack into the pan. I then put foil over that, snaking the thermometer lead out the back. There is no reason whatsoever to get the foil right next to the meat because as long as you don't let much moisture escape, the covered pan will go immediately to 100% humidity, and all evaporative cooling will cease. So, just cover the pan and wrap the foil tight around the edges.

My cooler is just the same size as these big disposable pans, so I simply take the entire covered pan out of the smoker when the internal temp gets to 200-205, and then drop the whole thing into the cooler. This is another great reason to use the pan. No downside to it. Also, it really saves time on cleanup.

Here are the notes from my pork butt smoke from four days ago. I think the shoulder was about 8-9 pounds (I forgot to weigh it before hand). There is a big gap between the starting time and my first measurement because I was asleep. Because I used my AMNPS for smoke, I didn't need to keep feeding chips into my electric.

Time     Temperature

0:00       34

4:30     118

5:30     129

6:50     140

8:00     145

9:00     147  (The stall started early. I raised the temp from 225 to 250 at this point)

10:00    153

11:00    156 (I dropped the butt into the pan and covered with foil)

12:00    174

13:00    201 (pulled from the smoker and put into a cooler)

The internal temp measured 198 (Thermapen reading) by the time I fooled around and actually got it into the cooler. One hour later it was 189, so the "cooler" did a pretty good job of maintaining the temperature. I poured off all the juice into a defatter. I then pulled the pork, added finishing sauce, and served with the defatted drippings. These drippings are better than any BBQ sauce, IMHO, although I also like Jeff's "Goodness Gracious Sakes Alive" BBQ sauce with pulled pork, and highly recommend that you purchase his recipe.

John
I didn't see where you said what temp you ran the MES at. I'm doing one now, 8 lbs, started at midnight yesterday. It's now 3 pm and I'm holding at 192. It was at 183 at 10:30 am, and is only at 192 now. Don't know how you got those temps to climb like that. I foiled at 10:00 am and have the MES running between 240 and 260. Using an Ivation digital, which has always been pretty accurate for me in the past. Not the first time I've had this issue either, seems to take several hours to get from 190 to 203 (where I usually take it out). Any ideas?

I didn't see where you said what temp you ran the MES at. I'm doing one now, 8 lbs, started at midnight yesterday. It's now 3 pm and I'm holding at 192. It was at 183 at 10:30 am, and is only at 192 now. Don't know how you got those temps to climb like that. I foiled at 10:00 am and have the MES running between 240 and 260. Using an Ivation digital, which has always been pretty accurate for me in the past. Not the first time I've had this issue either, seems to take several hours to get from 190 to 203 (where I usually take it out). Any ideas?
If you have tightly foiled the entire piece of meat (I use an aluminum tray and then put foil over that), and your smoker is really at 250 degrees (which a good temperature to get through the stall), then you should be able to hit the "magic" 200 degree mark so you can declare victory and put the food in the cooler for a few hours to reabsorb liquid and rest for awhile.

If you have had it in foil since 10:30 a.m., and it is now 3:00 p.m., and if you've had the smoker temp at 250 degrees, and you are sure that this temperature is correct because, as you say, your thermometer has been accurate for you in the past, then I am out of airspeed and ideas. This seems to defy "the laws of the stall."

Of course the "ultimate solution" to any stall is to bring the meat inside and put it into a 325 degree oven, with the meat still foiled.

Question: do you have any liquid in the water pan? Many people advise against using any liquid in that pan. I have tried it both ways and now almost always leave the pan dry. You might try pouring off any liquid in that pan and see if the meat temperature goes up more quickly.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky