Basic Pulled Pork Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
get yourself a thermo pen, some type of thermometer to register internal temps of your meats. this is the key to successful smokes. pork butt i did a 10 hour cook @225 degrees until  the butt reached 205 degrees . no pulling  !

So I just bought an 11 lb Boston Butt..So by my calculations I am looking at 20 plus hours at 250.. Can I cut it in half and cook them together? I cant see that It would matter.

I have 11 hrs in on my offset smoker. I was having issues maintaining 200 degrees even with stoking every hr. I just wrapped it in foil at 140 degrees to finish in the oven. Last time around I believe I was stuck at 140 for the pork butt. I understand the plateau and that I don't have an issue with but it's hard to maintain a steady temp on my smoker. It looks like I could use some rope to help hold in some escaping smoke and I'm upgrading to a bigger charcoal basket some I'm hoping that was the issue. Last time around it was 12 hrs start to finish using this thread and it was so worth it! Thanks for the originator of the thread and all the continued tips! At least I got to try out my new wireless Mavericks today!

Hey guys new to the forum. In the past I've always depended on time when smoking and I never checked the temp until it had been on the smoker for about 10 hours. I'm using the technique outlined in the original post on this thread and my 5 1/2lb butt is already up to 165 after only a little over 3 hours. That seems really early to me to wrap it and stop the smoke. I'm using a char griller barrel type with a side box. The temp has been between 260-225 the whole time. I'm also going to throw some baby backs on a little later. Is it too early to wrap it already?

Hey guys new to the forum. In the past I've always depended on time when smoking and I never checked the temp until it had been on the smoker for about 10 hours. I'm using the technique outlined in the original post on this thread and my 5 1/2lb butt is already up to 165 after only a little over 3 hours. That seems really early to me to wrap it and stop the smoke. I'm using a char griller barrel type with a side box. The temp has been between 260-225 the whole time. I'm also going to throw some baby backs on a little later. Is it too early to wrap it already?
There is no reason to wrap unless you need to push through the stall. If you are happy with the look and like Bark...Let it ride...JJ

I have had one do that before. I bet it will stall at some point and even out to the timeline you are used to. You can wrap in foil now or let it go some more. Is it boneless?

It's only going to take smoke for about three hours. If you leave it unwrapped, it will just dry out in my opinion. I wrap at 165 and cook to about 205. Too much smoke is more of a hazard than too little I think. 

I wound up wrapping it around 190, I kept it moist with a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and water sprayed every hour, left it on until the temp was 205 for around 30 mins then wrapped it in towels and let it rest for 2 hours. It was so tender it just fell apart, and tastes awesome.

It's only going to take smoke for about three hours. If you leave it unwrapped, it will just dry out in my opinion. I wrap at 165 and cook to about 205. Too much smoke is more of a hazard than too little I think. 
Sorry but that's not true - meat will continue to take on smoke as long as it is in smoke 
thumb1.gif
  Here is a good thread for you to read  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/139995/it-wont-take-no-more-smoke-after-4-hours-horse-hockey

View media item 314657View media item 314658View media item 314659
Followed this thread again and other then it taking 16 hrs start to finish it was fantastic! The new Mavericks worked great as well! I just have to work on controlling my heat as I wasn't able to keep it at a steady 200-225. I already have a larger basket for coals and I might have to do some sealing and baffle work. I had a loaf pan filled with water covering the firebox hole. I'm thinking I wasn't getting good flow. At the 11 hr mark I was at 140 degrees. :devil:

Last edited:
I found that the loaf pan with water sucks up like 75 degrees of heat. Move the water pan aaway from the opening and use a aluminum pan as a baffel instead

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky