Basic Pulled Pork Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I ran into something in my smoking session this weekend. I was smoking a rather large 11 lbs. butt so I decided to put two probes in it one at each end. So as I finally started to approach the time to pull the butt(21 hour smoke with a six hour stall) I noticed my temps were 10 degrees off from each other. So I guess my question is do I burn the higher temp side while I wait for the lower side to come up or visa versa? 

I ran into something in my smoking session this weekend. I was smoking a rather large 11 lbs. butt so I decided to put two probes in it one at each end. So as I finally started to approach the time to pull the butt(21 hour smoke with a six hour stall) I noticed my temps were 10 degrees off from each other. So I guess my question is do I burn the higher temp side while I wait for the lower side to come up or visa versa? 

I dont pull mine at 205 like many do. I will pull it at around 195, wrap and allow to rest. By allowing the meat to rest for an hour or so you will get some carryover cooking. The carryover cooking will even out the temps across the product a little closer. On large cuts you will experience a temp difference, it will usually average the two and allow the carryover even things out.

Ok. I tried a couple small pork tender loins. two pounds a piece. I read it was about 1.5 hours a pound. So I thought(and this is where I think I went wrong;) it would be a 6-7 hour smoke. temp set at 240. about 4.5 hours it held up at 155 for the next 4 hours then I had to pull em and go to bed cause I had to go to work. is it normal for it to hold up this long? Your guys insight would be great.

Tender loins have little fat and shouldnt be confused with the same cooking methods used  for  a boston butt or a pork loin.... where the longer cooks are required to render the fat ...145 IT is perfect for pork tenderloins to be medium  165 well done!

Reactions: huntem
For pulled pork you need the fat from a butt or shoulder. Both actually come from the same front end. The butt is the upper part of the shoulder and the picnic is the lower part that connect to the leg. They are supposed to be renaming all of the pork cuts to match the beef cuts. Who knows we may soon see pork brisket. .........

Pork loin and tenderloin are not good for pulled pork, not enough fat. Better to cook to 140-145, allow to rest for 30 min then slice.

Thanks Jarjarchef. I'm listening. it was just crazy how it stopped at 160 and stayed.It had great flavor. I'm  going to do a pork shoulder this weekend.

the stopping of temp is a stall. some are long and some are quick. you can wrap to push through it or you can turn the heat up a little. i cook at 275-290 and don't see a huge stall.

I always think my shoulders are "okay" Family and friends seem to love them, no matter how I try to smoke them. But, I have had some wonderful pulled pork, that I always compare mine to. This was manna from heaven! It was so wonderfully flavored. The moisture content was perfect. It left a happy gelatinous feeling inside my cheeks. Even the aftertaste was a friendly reminder of the perfect pulled pork that I had consumed. I think the thing I am missing is the penetration of smoke and flavor? The outside inch of my pork butts is really pretty good. Inside of that, it tastes like a flavorless pork mass that could've been cooked in the crockpot, or microwave.I personally like it better when I don't wrap it and just let it cook nakid until it hits about 195. Otherwise, my crispy delicous bark turns to a sooty flavored goo.

What can I do to get that deep flavor and smoke penetration? I've never brined a shoulder. Would that help? I have put the pulled pork in a pan, reseasoned and put back on the smoker. That has probably been my favorite so far.Still not as good as the best I have ever had. Any suggestions?

growle

Got a quick question I'm doing two 3lbs pork butt for dinner tomorow. Could I smoke the butts today for a few hours then put them in the frig till morning then finish them up in the morning. If that will work how should I wrap them up so the moisture stays in the butts

Got a quick question I'm doing two 3lbs pork butt for dinner tomorow. Could I smoke the butts today for a few hours then put them in the frig till morning then finish them up in the morning. If that will work how should I wrap them up so the moisture stays in the butts
Two 3 pounders take the same time as 1 3 pounder would. 5 hours give or take. I would not split the cook up like that. You are asking for trouble. Do it today and reheat tomorrow. It reheats really well. PP also freezes well for future reference. If you are worried about losing sleep tonight you could smoke it to 165 internal and double wrap in foil, finish in oven or crockpot.

Cook them in the morning, 3 pound butts won't take long if you cook at the 250°-275° range. Somewhere around 3-4 hours. YMMV, but It shouldn't vary by much.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky