Basic Pulled Pork Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks to everyone for all the valuable information. Cooked a 9 lb. Pork shoulder today and it turned out awsome! Great method for pulled pork. I did not make the finishing sauce this time but am looking forward to trying it next time. I did make a killer sauce though!

The only issue I found pulling by hand is that a LOT less makes it onto the serving dish.  (esp when hungry fingers are doin the pullin')
drool.gif

I have read a lot of post, very helpful. Saturday I am planning on using my smoker the very first time! I have a 4 lb boston butt. I have a brinkmann gourmet electric smoker. It doesn't have a way to change the temp and I've read the Manual many times and haven't found anything. I plan on sticking a thermometer in it to keep track like the very first post on this. Just confused how I am supposed to keep the temp in rang or does it just have 1 temp.

Sounds like if no way to adjust, it has only one temp then. If you can do a test run with nothing in it and see what the temp comes in at for the pre set. I would also not inject or cut the Boston butt. This way if the cook chamber temp is on the cooler side, you run less chances on the food safety side.

Thank you! That was my plan trying ribs tonight. I am going to put a thermometer inside the smoker like I have in my oven so I can tell the temp. I plan on dry rubbing it and doing the foil like the very first recipe said. A lot of people did reviews of the smoker I have and said its a great first smoker. I am excited. I'll post pics how it came out. Thanks for the help everyone

If I'm doing a boneless butt, will the smoke/cook time change?

Yes and no........

Yes if you don't tie it back into shape. But you run a risk of drying it out.

No because you are still looking at a time of aprox 1.5 - 2hr per pound..........

You can have a 6 pound boneless butt tied back together and it still will take about 9 - 12hrs. You could leave it open or untied and it will get up to temp faster and then wrap it. It should lower the time per pound, but I would not recommend doing the entire cook unwrapped due to the chance of drying out the meat.

Reactions: dupie24
Thanks soooo much, didn't think about tying it up. Good idea, I just tied it up and it's in the smoker! A lot of the rub is on the inside now, hope that works ok. Got plenty of time, so low and slow for this one! :grilling_smilie:

Took 12.5 hours at 225-250, most of the time closer to 250, 6 lb boneless pork shoulder butt from costco. It's in the cooler now, gonna give it can hour at least and then a late dinner!

I know I am not the only one using this recipe for a Christmas pork dinner?  Just put mine on about an hour ago.  Third time I have used this method and it has been flawless so far.  Thanks guys and Merry Christmas from NC!  

HELP!!!  following the recipe as follows and a new smoker.  Goin at 225-240 my 3.75 pound butt has been in for 7 hours...got to a temp of 149.9 and has DROPPED to 143.9.  is this the plateau?  so early?  Smoker is runnin fine...bad thermo?  should i panic?  Thanks!

HELP!!!  following the recipe as follows and a new smoker.  Goin at 225-240 my 3.75 pound butt has been in for 7 hours...got to a temp of 149.9 and has DROPPED to 143.9.  is this the plateau?  so early?  Smoker is runnin fine...bad thermo?  should i panic?  Thanks!

Internal temp is key, what type of temp measuring? I rarely find digital thermometers off that much. These type of meats can take a long time!

For a 4lb butt you should be close to done at 7hrs. I would check my smoker therm and meat therm when done. It sounds like it might be off. Most stock therms are garbage.

Some mats are stubborn and take a long time. You can wrap it with some liquid and that will push it faster, but you will loose your crispy bark.

Well I used these directions for basic pulled pork for my first ever smoke on my new MES I got for Christmas from my fiance.  It was a 3.75 pound shoulder I got when I bought half a hog from my nephew (best investment ever).  Total smoke time was 10 hours to pull it and cooler it at 198*.  Here is some Q-View.  I meant to take more pictures but it was all too intense for me to remember.

View media item 279450
Here it is rubbed down with mustard and my rub yesterday before the smoke about to go in the fridge.

View media item 279451
And here are the final products.  I also smoked Dutch's wicked bbq beans and boy am I glad I did!

When it was done at 4:30 I put it in the cooler for an hour before the pull.  I also made the finishing sauce that has been mentioned on here constantly and WOW that sauce made a HUGE difference in the taste of my pork.  I can't believe how good it was and how much it helped bring out flavor in the meat!  I didn't know how much to use when pulling so I didn't use a whole lot and set it on the counter.  I ended up putting more on my sandwhich and so did my fiance and we both loved it!  Didn't use BBQ sauce at all---that's amazing in itself to me.

My fiance said "these are the best beans I've ever had" and she loves beans.  If you've never made Dutch's wicket bbq beans, or if you have never used SoFlaQuer's finishing sauce you NEED to.  If you are a newbie going to smoke this for the first time I highly recommend the finishing sauce.

The pork itself was very good, but I'm still not satisfied.  The meat was a little dry and did not pull as easily as I was hoping it would.  It all worked out, but I'm not fully satisfied.  I think something went wrong during my smoke and I am not experienced enough to figure out what it was that went wrong.  At one point my internal temp dropped from 149.9 to 142.5 even though nothing was wrong with my smoker.  I was panicking but kept with it and it worked out.  There was a very good bark on this, too.  Tasty.  Looks burnt but it was NOT.  Wow.

Anyway, wanna thank everyone on here for your tips and help.  Would be totally lost without all of your kind advice and wisdom.  Looking forward to ribs on New Years!

Reactions: dupie24
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky