Barn tear down...Shed build pics.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Seems the firehouse crew needs to go on a diet until they work off some of those meals?
Why? I cook for them, they cook for me. They have no obligation to help me build a shed, but if I asked, if they were available, some of them might come. But it comes down to scheduling. I'm single, most of them are not. They have kids, and kids nowadays are involved in more than one activity. Right now, it's baseball. I'd much rather them be with their kids playing ball, rather than wait for a time when they are free.

Finally, I feel like I'm making progress. I was so wrong on the shimming. I was looking at the frame in the fading light of the day. This morning with daylight, big difference. I called one of the guys at the firehouse...his cousin has a roofing company. Asked if he had any used shingles off a job in good condition for shims. He sent a guy by the house and delivered 3/4 of an open bundle of shingles...new. Awesome! Good to know people. And that is one of the perks cooking for the guys at the firehouse....they help me out.

4x4 blocks in the corners for strength...
IMG_20230312_150714.jpg
IMG_20230312_150719.jpg

Got it plumb and level as possible with wood framing....inside the lines on the bubble level all around. Then started installing the joists.
IMG_20230312_155421.jpg

IMG_20230312_173153.jpg

IMG_20230312_173644.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
4.75" of drop over 20' along one of the diagonal lines...needed more blocks than I anticipated. Good thing they make a 1/4 tall block and a 1/2 block, saved me some digging.

Hurricane clips, attach the joists to the girders, strapping on the tie down anchors, then install the decking floor.

If you notice that big concrete block over by the blue barrel next to the garden bed....I found my Grandmother's clothes trellis base. Had to pull that out of the ground. Good thing we had that rain shower Friday afternoon, softened the ground up for easier digging.

Last edited:
So...progress! Was real nice today with low of 50; high 66*F!

1 week on the tomatoes...
IMG_20230313_190832.jpg

with all the record warmth for the last week, they have doubled in size...great start! Ready to trim the lower leaves and mound some more dirt around the vine. Helps to make a HUGE root ball and more roots=more fruits!

Hurricane clips... on everything @4 spacing...
IMG_20230313_173255.jpg

I sistered a 2x4 to the 2x8 floor joist for a full 1.5" of surface contact with the ends of the plywood sheet. Also blocked perpendicular to the joists with 2x4's turned sideways along where the seams of where the plywood meet. That, screws, and liberal amount of sub-floor glue should do it.

Got the first tie down anchor banding installed...
IMG_20230313_184613.jpg

Plumb. level and square...
IMG_20230313_174743.jpg

3 more to go and I can install the plywood decking. Hope to have that done by midday tomorrow, then start on the wall framing. Hope to have the wall framing, roof trusses, perlings, and roof tin on before Friday. That is the next rain coming thru with another cool front.

Shout out to chopsaw for answering my questions. Been a big help!

Last edited:
I’m jealous. I can tear down pretty much any engine/car or fix anything that is broken, but I was not gifted with the ability to build anything with wood. Hell I wouldn’t be confident in making 2-6” long 2x4’s out of a 12” 2x4 😂

I’m jealous. I can tear down pretty much any engine/car or fix anything that is broken, but I was not gifted with the ability to build anything with wood. Hell I wouldn’t be confident in making 2-6” long 2x4’s out of a 12” 2x4 😂
I'm fortunate that I can do both. Not a carpenter by trade, but have done quite a bit of it. Hurricanes necessitate the skill set.

Oh Inda, that's some fine looking lumber! And you got it for free!
Keep the pics coming.

Did you start your sheet goods yet ?
If not , start with a full sheet on the first row . Then install the first full sheet in the second row , but split the butt and keep the long edge / side tight . Then install the second sheet in the first row , again keeping the long side / edge tight . Keeps you running straight if the framing is a bit out of whack .
Also pull the joist layout from the butt end and mark it on the sheets . Pull the joist to the mark so you know you're keeping your layout .

Reactions: indaswamp
Quality work there, and the satisfaction of doing it yourself!! Can't wait to see it all finished and in use. Thanks for sharing the journey.

Did you start your sheet goods yet ?
If not , start with a full sheet on the first row . Then install the first full sheet in the second row , but split the butt and keep the long edge / side tight . Then install the second sheet in the first row , again keeping the long side / edge tight . Keeps you running straight if the framing is a bit out of whack .
Also pull the joist layout from the butt end and mark it on the sheets . Pull the joist to the mark so you know you're keeping your layout .
Noted. Thanks. Just now seeing this, and this is exactly how I did it. Got about 2/3rds. of the floor down today. Woulda got it all done, but Dad needed my help this morning so that is more important. You were right...2 sheets per big tube of sub-floor glue. 2 1/2 sheet to go, then I get to start framing walls!
IMG_20230314_163741.jpg

IMG_20230314_154210.jpg

Used the best sheet for the main doorway entry. The edge of the top ply de-laminated about 14" long x 1" wide along the outer edge. It will be right under the door sill. I plan on gluing/clamping it, put some window seal tape on it, and let it ride. Once the door sill is installed it will not be an issue. You can see it just to the right of the 4' blue level in the pic. above....

I'm sure some of you may know this.....but a wheel barrel is an excellent tool to move a 4x8x 3/4" sheet of plywood alone. Roll it up to the edge of the framing and slide it off...easy peasy. Just put the wheel in the center of the sheet, let 1/2 hang out over the front of the barrel. Works great and will save your back!

Reactions: Fueling Around
More pics...

tie-downs installed on corners and bango tight!
IMG_20230314_125129.jpg

IMG_20230314_125123.jpg

I dug dirt for more twist of the wrenches. More better! The dirt was soft, so was easier then short turns with wrenches.

First sheet down..finishing nail nailed 1/2 way in on inside and outside corner first to pin it down to check for fit with middle sheet on second row...
IMG_20230314_140724.jpg

Third sheet propped up with 3/4 rebar for glue....about to lay it and screw and thought to snap a pic.
IMG_20230314_152628.jpg

Third sheet down...
IMG_20230314_154011.jpg

Coming along really well.
Amazing how fast it gets moving after setting the base.
You have any .... power tools for lifting the walls or trusses? I like to frame walls horizontal and lift them in place.

I'm sure some of you may know this.....but a wheel barrel is an excellent tool to move a 4x8x 3/4" sheet of plywood alone. Roll it up to the edge of the framing and slide it off...easy peasy. Just put the wheel in the center of the sheet, let 1/2 hang out over the front of the barrel. Works great and will save your back!
Yep especially if you have a trailer/wheelbarrow so it doesn't tip when hitting a rut. Handy for moving RR ties, too.
Also those plastic panel carriers. I have long arms, but that extended reach is priceless.

Reactions: indaswamp
I have a stout tree, block and tackle, rope and chain, and eagle scout skills....I can stand it up...:emoji_thumbsup:
Didn't stay in Boy Scouts myself.
Son go in to Scouting and I stayed to help. He didn't get his project started so missed Eagle.
He's in Army Guard and a Fire Fighter now. Admitted during basic the lashing skills from Scouting came in handy. Now he's combat medic and said the First Aid and E Prep badges started his interest.
Dad stuck with Scouting and got his Silver Beaver.

My left thumb jumped out in front of my hammer today...
IMG_20230315_200651.jpg

IMG_20230315_200728.jpg

Ouch! That hurt! Happened while I was bumping the plywood with a 4# maul and a 2X4 to close a gap in a seam to be screwed down. Was watching the seam and not the hammer!

And slowed progress down today considerably! But, I managed to get the last 2 1/2 sheets down, glued and screwed...
IMG_20230315_114936.jpg

I changed plans.. No way to get the walls, trusses, and metal roofing on before the big storm rolls through friday morning. So....I started making the jig on the deck for the roof trusses...

Got the pattern pieces made...
IMG_20230315_161040.jpg

Now I know how long I need the roof metal to be so I can go ahead and buy that tomorrow, or order it and have it ready for pickup friday...

Will make the trusses tomorrow and them lay them on the deck. Will move the stack of 2X lumber next to the building, then cover it all with a 25'X50' tarp I have on hand. After the rain blows through Friday, I'll start on the walls.

When he walls start going up, it should go quick from there on. Just perlings and tin all round and install the doors and the shell of the shed will be done.

Don't know if I will need a crows foot for bracing the middle of the truss....or if the one 2x4 in the center will be enough. Each rafter is only 6' 4" long. And I am using 2x6's because I got them....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky