Barn tear down...Shed build pics.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Update...
Brought the plot plan by City Hall Tuesday morning...easy peasy. Approved without much fan fare. Utilities came by the next day to paint the lines, but that was all the city lines in the servitude at the back of the property. I had to dig to trace down the water, gas and sewer from the house. Ended up having to move the foundation of the build 2' to the south to avoid one of the auger anchors hitting the water line. Now I'll have an 8'x16' covered outdoor kitchen area, instead of 6' wide. I'm cool with that.

Got all the blocks laid out, marked with paint. Got the outside joists and the headers screwed together for the outline. Then marked where I needed to install the auger anchors. Good thing my buddy works for the local telephone company, he let me borrow his spare ground probing rod. This was a life saver. I was able to quickly fine good spots for the auger anchors that avoided tree roots since the shed is about 8-10' from a good size ash tree on the south side. After that, installing the augers was a piece of cake....
IMG_20230309_173608.jpg

IMG_20230309_173612.jpg

The aggressive auger on those mobile home tie down anchors is pretty good. They went in easy in my silt loam soil.

I'll be leveling blocks with 2" of crushed rock fill tomorrow...then I'll be ready to screw in the floor joists to the header. Hope to start laying plywood decking first thing Sat. morning while I roll smoke to a pork butt.

Reactions: TH-n-PA
Just a thought along the lines of this thread. I’m an excavation company and no work starts before me, for the most part, that said construction sites are a wealth of building materials. It’s insane how much lumber and sheeting they throw in the dumpster. You have a free flowing source of simple building materials from almost any construction site, they simply throw stuff away that is totally usable. It’s there for the asking. I take a lot of board cut offs for firewood, and can always get odd pieces of plywood or osb sheeting. Sometimes full sheets. It’s worth looking around and asking.

Just a thought along the lines of this thread. I’m an excavation company and no work starts before me, for the most part, that said construction sites are a wealth of building materials. It’s insane how much lumber and sheeting they throw in the dumpster. You have a free flowing source of simple building materials from almost any construction site, they simply throw stuff away that is totally usable. It’s there for the asking. I take a lot of board cut offs for firewood, and can always get odd pieces of plywood or osb sheeting. Sometimes full sheets. It’s worth looking around and asking.
I know a guy.......

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Up north the city, gas, electric, telephone, and cable are all responsible to do their locating and marking... if you call. We have a 1 call system to alert them.
Same hear... electric, telephone, and internet are in the air. City water, sewer, and gas are the only ones underground in my subdivision.

Up north the city, gas, electric, telephone, and cable are all responsible to do their locating and marking... if you call. We have a 1 call system to alert them.
Just dial 811 in Colorado or go on the 811 web site and fill out the sheet. I have to have a locate number on file for everything that I touch.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Not much progress today. Slow going setting the blocks, but this is the most important part for a solid floor so taking my time. I got the first row of blocks set level before the rain moved in around 3pm. Back at it in the morning.

Keep us appraised. And pics appreciated. Hoping to learn something myself.

That was probably the hardest part of getting out of thr trades for me! Once I ran out of leftover material, screws,caulking and general dumpster diving finds, I couldnt believe how much this stuff cost for the average joe home project guy!

Reactions: chopsaw
the hardest part of getting out of thr trades for me!
Yeah , my 30 year collection is running short .
As far as " throwing stuff away " that's not really what it is . It's all been bought and paid for by the owner . Guys in the field can do the job with less , plus more productive you're gonna have " unused " material , that's paid for again in labor savings . The cost to load it up plus the restocking fee is way more expensive than leaving it on the jobsite . Excessive amounts of unused material is a sign that someone over ordered .
Job estimates are usually figured heavy in material , to make up for a lower labor bid , because owners look at the labor cost more than the material . So it's not wasteful neglect on the part of the guys on the job , just part of the whole picture .

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Yeah , my 30 year collection is running short .
As far as " throwing stuff away " that's not really what it is . It's all been bought and paid for by the owner . Guys in the field can do the job with less , plus more productive you're gonna have " unused " material , that's paid for again in labor savings . The cost to load it up plus the restocking fee is way more expensive than leaving it on the jobsite . Excessive amounts of unused material is a sign that someone over ordered .
Job estimates are usually figured heavy in material , to make up for a lower labor bid , because owners look at the labor cost more than the material . So it's not wasteful neglect on the part of the guys on the job , just part of the whole picture .
Truth! When I did some bidding and project managing, material is what it is for the most part, but labor is where you win the bid and make your profit!

Reactions: chopsaw
Halfway done setting the blocks. Way more work than I anticipated. But should get the blocks set today, then the real work on the floor framing can begin.

Put two boston butts on @ 6:30a.m. this morning. INT is at 137*F so moving right along there...keeping the fire 230-250*F, smoking with mostly cherry and a little hickory. I love cherry on pork butts....

Reactions: clifish and TH-n-PA
Blocks are set, girders are in place, headers and two outside joists are fastened together to form the frame. Took my time....only need one shim and might could fix that with a little more crush rock fill. building the floor framing, then installing the banding on the tie-down anchors to the frame. Then the floor decking....Of I might take the day off...LOL! I am sore from leaning over adjusting blocks all day... Gonna be warm anyways...high 85*F tomorrow. Cold front moving through late and will be nice weather all seek, back down into the 60's.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Oh- and the pork butts are still in the smokehouse. Suckers are taking a long time. I even bumper the heat and closed off the top dampers some to halt evaporative cooling effect. @189*F...about another 2 hours of so I guess...

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Good things come to those who wait...but you already know that...
Was stuck @194*F for the longest....so I checked it with a therma pen... 201*F and tender. Too close to a bone I guess...or something....cause it is done.

IMG_20230311_205615.jpg

IMG_20230311_205901.jpg

IMG_20230311_205912.jpg

Cooks taster bite that was stuck to the grate....it's good. That'll do pig!
IMG_20230311_205931.jpg

Last edited:
Feeding tomorrows crew?
I've been setting rail ties in crushed rock for my rain collection system using 275 gal. totes. I tamped and leveled them three times last year. I decided to let sit for a winter and will do it again later this spring.

Reactions: indaswamp
Crews?? This is a one man operation. That will be for quick meals while I finish construction on the shed. But I may send some with my cousin and his son when they leave for the turkey camp. Season opens Weds.

• Sad
Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky