Featured Ball Tip and Coulotte (picanha) steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edmonds

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 6, 2020
Huntsville, AL
Two of the most tender and juicy cuts of beef, from one of my homegrown Dexter cows.

Ball Tip Steak - a boneless cut from the bottom of the sirloin tip that takes well to marinading. It is part of the round and is thus very lean, but it can be very tender if properly cooked and thinly sliced.
Coulotte Steak - tender and juicy cut from the sirloin. Please let the beefy flavor dominate; no marinade or rub for this cut. It's often labeled top sirloin cap and packaged trimmed of fat. In Brazil it is known as picanha and has a thick layer of fat on one side. My beef processor trims off the fat cap and calls it coulotte, which is how I am referring to it.

Ball tip marinaded, dusted with salt, cooked indirect, then reverse sear.
Coulotte (picanha) dusted with salt, cooked indirect then reverse seared.
And I'm playing some old-time slide guitar: Wade in the Water, an old spiritual.

Two of the most tender and juicy cuts of beef, from one of my homegrown Dexter cows.

Ball Tip Steak - a boneless cut from the bottom of the sirloin tip that takes well to marinading. It is part of the round and is thus very lean, but it can be very tender if properly cooked and thinly sliced.
Coulotte Steak - tender and juicy cut from the sirloin. Please let the beefy flavor dominate; no marinade or rub for this cut. It's often labeled top sirloin cap and packaged trimmed of fat. In Brazil it is known as picanha and has a thick layer of fat on one side. My beef processor trims off the fat cap and calls it coulotte, which is how I am referring to it.

Ball tip marinaded, dusted with salt, cooked indirect, then reverse sear.
Coulotte (picanha) dusted with salt, cooked indirect then reverse seared.
And I'm playing some old-time slide guitar: Wade in the Water, an old spiritual.

thank you, even here in Miami i see "picanha" labeled in the store. just recently watched a few videos on how to actually get the picanha cut from the top sirloin cp.

First we had QView, now QVideo? That was pretty darn cool! Nice job...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky