Baked potato hash browns?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
Good day all. There is a diner in Manitowoc, WI called Bud Willmans that has some of the best hash browns I have ever had. They have the shredded potatoes in a big plastic tub ready for the grill. My question is how do they do this without the potatoes turning brown?

I thought that they may have baked the potatoes before shredding. Is this even possible?

Any help discovering the secret of the Bud Willmans hash brown would be much appreciated.

They also have some great onion smash burgers....

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: JLeonard
I try to shred or chop mine ahead of time . Soak the starch out of them . As long as I have them covered with water they haven/t turned brown . I keep them in the fridge . I think some people add a squeeze of some type of acid , like lemon juice . I'm not sure about that though .

I am on the search also for "diner style" fried potatoes. There are 2 greasy spoon places nearby they make the best fried potatoes. I asked the cook at one place and they pre-bake spuds until they are partially done. He then slices them (unpeeled) on a mandolin and into a bowl. He fries them up on a griddle with a commercial butter flavored oil. I have yet to ask the other cook about their process. Peeled taters at this location.
I have tried parboiling and slicing with limited success. I have tried the canned peeled potatoes, boiled, again not exactly the taste.
Still want to try baking in the microwave and then oven if I can't get the wanted flavor.
I am cooking on a blackstone, canola oil and GFS buttery oil. Each batch is getting better.

Diner Style Potatoes

Capture.jpg

Not sure on hash browns, but I can tell you with 100% certainty diner homefries are made with baked or par cooked taters. I nuke mine night before. No lie, better than my local greasy spoon. Not sure if you could shred them. Diners have TONS of tricks. Learned from my SIL who runs one. If I had to guess I bet they shred and deep fry first or something like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
I’ve made them for years with par boiled potatoes. You don’t want to over cook the potatoes because the final product will be more like fried mashed potatoes. Par boil the night before and chill in the fridge. Shred the next morning and fry.

We buy WM frozen hash browns, IMHO, they are better than fresh. Heat a pan with some EVOO & when it’s hot enough that if you throw 1 hash brown in & it sizzles. Then throw them in & wait until the outside edges get brown, then flip. Another 2 minutes or so & a couple of sunny sides up eggs on top & that is a favorite breakfast of mine!
Al

Same for me on the home fries, like half cooked. I just nuke and IIRC 6-8 decent sized potatoes take like 20m but I rely on smell and poking. There's a big carryover so err on the side of undercooked unless crash cooling. The overnight rest is sorta like using old rice for fried rice type of thing. Seasoning a must IMO and my go to is https://www.conyeagerspice.com/wing-fry-dust/ A little does a long way.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
A diner I used to eat at regularly when I worked in Nevada had the best hash browns I'd ever eaten. I asked their secret. They parboiled, cooled, shredded, then froze the potatoes overnight. I later suspected they used corn or potato starch before freezing because I could never duplicate their fluffy result at home.

I have been trying to get hash browns and American fries just right for a long time. I don't think par cooking hash browns is needed. One of the keys to hash browns it to get as much water out of the potato's as possible. The other key is the temp of the pan or griddle and the type of fat used. The closest I've come to matching my favorite diner hash browns is to start with Simply Potato hash browns. Spread them out on a dry kitchen or paper towel with another on top and squeeze any moisture out of them. Simply Potato's don't have much to start with. Heat a cast iron pan on just under medium heat when it's up to temp add some clarified butter. Must be clarified or it will burn. When the butter has reached temp add your hash browns. Spread them out but don't flatten or try to smash them down just a nice even layer. Don't touch them for five minutes.

After five minutes and the edges are just starting to crisp up season the top with whatever seasoning you like and then flip them over. Cook for another five or so and you should have some darn good hash browns.

The secret to American fries is par cooking ahead of time. Whenever I'm running the smoker I will add a five pound bag of red potato's if I have room and smoke them until about half done. Remove them let them cool and store in the fridge for later use. When ready for american fries I will cube them up. Then deep fry for three to four minutes tops. If deep frying is not a option you can shallow fry them in a pan with as much oil as you can safely use. Crispy out side and tender creamy inside. If you haven't par cooked potato's in your smoker you are missing out.

Perfect scrambled eggs you ask? Well you didn't but I'll give you some tips and what has worked for me. I will only eat eggs scrambled, deviled or hard boil by the way other than that the chicken can keep them. Scrambled your eggs in a bowl and add a pinch or two of salt whisk the salt in and let them sit at least fifteen minutes or longer. This is the first thing I do when starting to prepare breakfast. After they have sat with the salt long enough add a tablespoon or two of milk or cream and whisk that in. Lastly whisk in a tablespoon or so of club soda. Add a tablespoon of butter to a cast iron pan on medium low heat. Pour in your eggs. Let them sit until you see the eggs are firming up on the edges. Take a spatula and slowly start to pull the eggs from the edge of the pan to the middle of the pan. Resist beating the eggs up too much. Just keep folding from the edges to the middle. When they are almost done remove from heat. They will finish up nicely in the cast iron.

Ok now I'm hungry and time to start breakfast!🥚

JC in GB JC in GB They have the shredded potatoes in a big plastic tub ready for the grill. My question is how do they do this without the potatoes turning brown?

I think the best french fries are the ones that are blanched first, and that might work for the shredded ones you want.

The soaking in water and a bit of vinegar works also , but than you have to really dry well before putting in a deep fryer or with oil on the grill.
Blanching also helps make the potatoes crisper in my opinion

( blanching is a guick fry/ dip into the very hot oil and than remove, and than when needed fried in the normal temp oil ( 350 deg. ) )

David

Last edited:
I use dehydrated potatoes. Just add hot water and let sit for a while. They come out very good. Really crispy. Use med heat.
The closest I've come to matching my favorite diner hash browns is to start with Simply Potato hash browns.

+1 You guys reminded me I gave up on home fries at one point and DID go down the hash brown rabbit hole: Golden Griddle aka Idaho Spuds. The art is in the prep. They are on the salty side IMO. I rehydrated deliberately with more water then drained in a colander. Prep night before so they are dry going onto the flattop. Might not best a diner making scratch but they were MUCH better than my trials with fresh potato. Like home fries, add some fresh minced onion.

We're team scrambled here and my latest and best is using mayo instead of water and milk, WHITE pepper, a little salt (mayo has salt in it).

0001114010373_A?$DT_Zoom$.jpg

I have been trying to get hash browns and American fries just right for a long time. I don't think par cooking hash browns is needed. One of the keys to hash browns it to get as much water out of the potato's as possible. The other key is the temp of the pan or griddle and the type of fat used. The closest I've come to matching my favorite diner hash browns is to start with Simply Potato hash browns. Spread them out on a dry kitchen or paper towel with another on top and squeeze any moisture out of them. Simply Potato's don't have much to start with. Heat a cast iron pan on just under medium heat when it's up to temp add some clarified butter. Must be clarified or it will burn. When the butter has reached temp add your hash browns. Spread them out but don't flatten or try to smash them down just a nice even layer. Don't touch them for five minutes.

After five minutes and the edges are just starting to crisp up season the top with whatever seasoning you like and then flip them over. Cook for another five or so and you should have some darn good hash browns.

The secret to American fries is par cooking ahead of time. Whenever I'm running the smoker I will add a five pound bag of red potato's if I have room and smoke them until about half done. Remove them let them cool and store in the fridge for later use. When ready for american fries I will cube them up. Then deep fry for three to four minutes tops. If deep frying is not a option you can shallow fry them in a pan with as much oil as you can safely use. Crispy out side and tender creamy inside. If you haven't par cooked potato's in your smoker you are missing out.

Perfect scrambled eggs you ask? Well you didn't but I'll give you some tips and what has worked for me. I will only eat eggs scrambled, deviled or hard boil by the way other than that the chicken can keep them. Scrambled your eggs in a bowl and add a pinch or two of salt whisk the salt in and let them sit at least fifteen minutes or longer. This is the first thing I do when starting to prepare breakfast. After they have sat with the salt long enough add a tablespoon or two of milk or cream and whisk that in. Lastly whisk in a tablespoon or so of club soda. Add a tablespoon of butter to a cast iron pan on medium low heat. Pour in your eggs. Let them sit until you see the eggs are firming up on the edges. Take a spatula and slowly start to pull the eggs from the edge of the pan to the middle of the pan. Resist beating the eggs up too much. Just keep folding from the edges to the middle. When they are almost done remove from heat. They will finish up nicely in the cast iron.

Ok now I'm hungry and time to start breakfast!🥚
Thanks for that.. Yes, I can make some darn good raw fries and hash browns. My disconnect right now is how do they do it in the diners without the shredded hash browns turning dark. They don't fresh grate the spuds so what is the secret? Baked boiled to what level of doneness?

I will get this figured out..

JC

A diner I used to eat at regularly when I worked in Nevada had the best hash browns I'd ever eaten. I asked their secret. They parboiled, cooled, shredded, then froze the potatoes overnight. I later suspected they used corn or potato starch before freezing because I could never duplicate their fluffy result at home.
NoBoundries sums it up for me "fluffy" like baked but with a bit of crunch like fried. They add very little salt if any, no onions or additional items.

Here are two example that come close to what I am trying to replicate. Both use a pre-cooked potato.

RG

Diner style Home fries

Jersey Style Home Fries

Yes, this is what I was looking for. I would not have guessed par boiled. Well, I am going to try this and another poster suggested oil blanching them. My apologies for my terrible memory.

JC

I use a Kitchenaid stand mixer with the shredder attachment. I'll catch the threads of potatoes in a clean dish cloth, then gather the towel up at the corners and begin twisting the towel over the sink to squeeze the water out of the potatoes. When you can't get anymore water out, open the towel, spread the shreds out on the towel and let air dry while your skillet heats up with enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. When hot, dump out the potatoes and spread them out. Sometimes I'll cover the potatoes and steam them for about 10 minutes if I'm in a hurry, if not, I'll just let them cook. I don't do "scattered" hash browns, I'm looking for a cake of potatoes. When they're brown on the bottom I'll flip them like a pancake and finish cooking them. I'll then add a few dots of butter on top and let them melt down into the potatoes, and if I'm daring, I'll sprinkle on a little bit of smoked paprika, or a dash of garlic powder or onion powder to finish them off. Divide them up like a pie if you want or just tear into them getting your share of them as you wish. Creamy soft on the inside, crusty brown on the outside.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky