bacon?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
First slab of bacon is rubbed down, sealed in a zip loc in the fridge. 2 lb, 14 oz slab. Rubbed per Disco's suggestions on his basic thread. Gonna leave it in fridge for 7 days. Flip it/massage it daily. Will post pics when it comes out of fridge.

I am sort of bewildered about the cure process. 3 lb slab of bacon. Cure seasoning was 7.5 TSP brown sugar, 4.5 tsp kosher salt, and a little over half tsp of curing salt-prague. Rubbed it all over, but didn't seem like much for that big slab of meat.

I am sort of bewildered about the cure process. 3 lb slab of bacon. Cure seasoning was 7.5 TSP brown sugar, 4.5 tsp kosher salt, and a little over half tsp of curing salt-prague. Rubbed it all over, but didn't seem like much for that big slab of meat.

It does not take much cure to achieve the purpose.
Most definitely with cure, more is not better. Using too much cure can poision you.
Follow the recipe and you'll be okay.

Oh, I followed it as best I could. Hard to measure 3/5 tsp. I used a half tsp and 1/8 tsp. Has to be pretty close.

Oh, I followed it as best I could. Hard to measure 3/5 tsp. I used a half tsp and 1/8 tsp. Has to be pretty close.

Lot of folks on here ditched their measureing spoons and now use scales to weigh the ingredients.
Scales are more accurate since they weigh stuff in grams etc.

Got the Amazn smoke tube in and apple pellets. Cured the tube on my grill. Called for 275, my smoker only goes to 250. I'm ready to smoke this bacon. Probably cut the cure short at 5 days, and smoke the bacon Sunday after church.

Got the Amazn smoke tube in and apple pellets. Cured the tube on my grill. Called for 275, my smoker only goes to 250. I'm ready to smoke this bacon. Probably cut the cure short at 5 days, and smoke the bacon Sunday after church.

How thick is the slab?

Yes, Disco has been tutoring me. I'll soak it in clean water Sunday morning when I get up, change the water when we leave for church. Then I'll do a cold smoke Sunday afternoon. Follow that up with a hot smoke later. Looking forward to it!

Cool.
You are in good hands with disco mentoring you.
Have fun and enjoy.

Cold smoke tomorrow after work

Attachments

• 46D55E96-3208-41B9-B6D2-F30FF2025C99.jpeg
    46D55E96-3208-41B9-B6D2-F30FF2025C99.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky