Bacon-wrapped Turkey this Sunday?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Zero Hour

Original poster
Apr 10, 2019
So like my Roll Call post mentions, I just got this smoker. first real one I guess I'd say(I have a 3 section grill but never did use the smoker on this level and cant have it at the apartment. sigh.)

I'm trying to ease into the saddle slowly but I really want to just jump up and ride the hell outta it. HOWEVER, in the interest of not making many mistakes and pitching away money, I'm trying to research research research and get a good strong feel of what's going to work and how to do it, i.e. what woods and flavors will be suited to what, seasonings, times, temps, vents, and so on.

I'm thinking this Sunday when I've got the time and space to myself and not much else to do than a video game to pass the time, some form of turkey, wrapped in bacon, over apple wood chips and some apple juice for the moisture? I haven't decided on any seasoning yet. Does this sound acceptable or do you think it may turn out yay! or yuck?

I didn't find much in a search other than actual turkey bacon lol..

I learned a long time ago that when experimenting always have a backup plan for dinner (mine is usually order pizza).

That being said I have never wrapped a turkey in bacon but here are some thoughts:
1) if you have a turkey with the skin on and wrap in bacon the skin is gonna suck, I would pull the skin back and put the bacon under the skin, it would keep the meat moist and let the skin get crisp.
2) a turkey breast will cook faster than a whole turkey
3) I smoke my turkey breast at 275-300
4 make sure to put a drip pan of some sort under it (I have ruined a $300 smoker without one):emoji_fire:

Reactions: Zero Hour
At the store now gathering everything and debating what ill do but ill keep you posted

Well it'll take forever before I feel I'm satisfied or reached near perfection. I had apple juice in the pan for moisture, apple wood for chips, and Applewood bacon rub on the turkey before wrapping it in bacon. I had to use breasts and thin slices were all I could find, to make the lady happy. It's not bad! But there's alot of room for improvement and because I had been messing with temps smoking two steaks, I feel I had the turkey in too long to reach safe test temps before removing. Should have been more liberal with the rub as well but anyway its all a learning curve right? This was just the test run. I'll do some research and wrap the real pieces I bought to do tonight or tomorrow. THEN it'll be time for a whole turkey.

The random breasts were some I was testing some orange pepper rub on..

(I'm no photographer)

Attachments

• 20190414_141137.jpg
    20190414_141137.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 25
Ok so here was the real deal last night to bring to work for a couple coworkers to try.

I removed the skin and slathered in duck fat, then the Applewood bacon rub, then wrapped in bacon, and smoked for around 3.5 hrs til I hit 165-170

(then 60 seconds in the microwave to make sure I did hit that temp everywhere. Trying to be safe til I'm more comfortable with my smoking and trust the thermometers)

Attachments

• 20190414_232723.jpg
    20190414_232723.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 19
I've said this before, about Turkey & other big hunks of meat.
Because of what it does to the original "Outside" of said Turkey or other hunk of meat, I would Smoke or cook my Turkey any way I want, and I would make a Mess of Bacon separately. Then I would serve the Bacon on the side.
This way Everything would be Awesome, instead of the Bacon ruining the Turkey Skin, and the Turkey ruining the Bacon.

Without Bacon over it, the Turkey can get golden Brown & Crispy.
With Bacon the Turkey will get Pale without any crispness.

My 2 Piasters,
Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky