bacon wrapped moose meatloaf

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmcatv

Original poster
Dec 13, 2016
Hey all. Question. Want to make a moose meatloaf tomorrow. Thought about smoking it but wont have 4 hours to do it. Here is my question.
I bbq my meatloafs on my bbq in a cast iron skillet roughly takes about 1 to 1 1/2 hours in the grill. I use indirect heat at rough 400.
That all be said i wonder if i gave it an hour in the smoker than finish it off on the grill if any smoke would get into the meat in that amount of time? Or would i be wasting my time with the smoker.

Personally I believe so ground meat seems to absorb smoke quickly
We do burgers for about a hour and you can really taste it

So i smoked the meatloaf today.
Ran it at 225 for the first 1.5 hours than had plans to transfer over to the grill to finish off. But kids wanted to play outside in the snow so i just turned the smoker up to 325/350 ish and let it go another hour. Check IT temp and it was up at 160. Pulled right away. Dried out a bit cause a bit over temp but was still great.
Im thinkin they cooked so quick because I had them in cast iron pans. (Cause i had plans to transfer them).
smoke didnt get it as much as i hoped but was using Hickory so still had alot of flavor.

I gotta get better at taking pics lol. Always sitting down with a mouth full and think ahhhh crap should have taken a pic

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky