Bacon vs Canadian Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pokey

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Monroe Twp, NJ
Opinions wanted! I've started curing a 8.8 lb pork tenderloin and am wondering which way to go when the cure is finished. I followed Morton's basic recipe for the cure, which is 1 TBS TQ + 1 tsp sugar for each pound of meat. My question is, which smoke process should I use? I had thought I'd be doing a cold smoke, but when I looked at the wiki for Canadian bacon (which seems to be what is recommended for tenderloin), it said to do a hot smoke. I know that if I do a cold smoke, I'm making basic bacon and have to fry the result before eating. But can one do tenderloin this way or do you have to make it the Canadian Bacon way, which is to smoke it hot?

Thanks in advance.

Pokey,

I used to smoke it to 160˚ internal using the method in the thread below.

Now that the USDA has reduced their safety warning to 145˚, instead of 160˚, I will use the same method, except I will pull it at 150˚, instead of 160˚.

This way you can either eat it cold, or just heat it up a little.

If you slice it thin, it is Canadian Bacon.

If you slice it thick, it is "Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops" (Awesome---Try a couple!)

Link:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/91651/boneless-smoked-pork-chops-w-qview#post_47...

Hope this helps,

Bear

PS: Going by the size, I'm assuming you meant Pork Loin---Not Pork tenderloin.

Last edited:
Pokey,

Where you been?

What bear said

You want to eat it cold

Todd

Opinions wanted! I've started curing a 8.8 lb pork tenderloin and am wondering which way to go when the cure is finished. I followed Morton's basic recipe for the cure, which is 1 TBS TQ + 1 tsp sugar for each pound of meat. My question is, which smoke process should I use? I had thought I'd be doing a cold smoke, but when I looked at the wiki for Canadian bacon (which seems to be what is recommended for tenderloin), it said to do a hot smoke. I know that if I do a cold smoke, I'm making basic bacon and have to fry the result before eating. But can one do tenderloin this way or do you have to make it the Canadian Bacon way, which is to smoke it hot?

Thanks in advance.
Pokey you could always do the way Canadians make it. 
biggrin.gif
  Just one more option. lol

I prefer cold smoked bacon... you have more options on how you want to cook it later.
icon14.gif

Peameal bacon.

I brined two loin backs in sweet pickle brine for 7 days...

rolled both in corn meal...

The peameal bacon...ready to fry...

Peameal bacon is awesome... so moist and tender. :)

Pokey I will send you a PM with more info...  

Last edited:
This all sounds good.

You're right, it's a big ole loin, not tenderloin.

I'm thinking of cutting it in two pieces and hot smoking the larger and cold smoking the other. The hot smoked one I'll cut some thin into Canadian bacon, some thick into pork chops as Bear suggests. The other I'll fry like regular bacon and see how it goes.

Cowgirl, Nice post! How long do you cold smoke the pea meal bacon for? Is it coated in corn meal before or after the smoke?

Thanks, all, for the advice.

Pokey

Great Idea Pokey!!!

Try it ALL !!!  It's All Good !!!

A note about those cured smoked pork chops----Mrs Bear is not crazy about smoked food.

She would rather have Prime Rib, Burgers, steaks, chuckies, briskets, etc, etc, without smoke. (I know--that is strange!)

However---She Loves My TQ cured "Boneless Smoked Pork Chops".

Bear

Hopefully cowgirl will chime it, she has made some amazing CB, you might check out her Blog site, it is on there.

That said, I have only made CB out of Venison loin, and I smoke/cooked it to 155 internal, delicious!

Stupid Question??

So, if I cured a "Pork Roast" like bacon and smoked it, what would I have?

Would it turn out like CB, BBB, HAM or What?

Todd

Stupid Question??

So, if I cured a "Pork Roast" like bacon and smoked it, what would I have?

Would it turn out like CB, BBB, HAM or What?

Todd
I'm thinking the best answer would be "Yes".

Because it would depend on where the roast would come from.

Just like the Loin tastes like Cured & smoked pork chops, or Canadian Bacon.

And the Shoulder (Boston Butt) tastes like BBB,

And the Hog Leg tastes like Ham.

Then you have;

Blade roast, shoulder roll, Picnic Roast, Arm Roast, Center Loin Roast, Sirloin Roast, Loin Blade roast, etc, etc.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky