Bacon rescue????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jackpot

Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
I cured and smoked a 10# slab...... Zero flavor, fries up like dry crunchy ham

I cured til pink and smoked @150 for 5 hours

I haven't sliced it all yet, is there any way to save it???

used pink curing salt 1t per 5 pounds as it said on the instructions

sunday to sunday

What kind of smoke?  5 Hours of smoke is kinda short.  I do 9 to 11 hours at about 130°.

150° can cause your Bacon to render some Fat, but that won't make it tasteless.

Here's how I do mine:

Bacon (Extra Smoky)

Bear

Last edited:
I am disturbed by your statement......"I cured til pink". Where did you come up with this as a measure of being cured properly?
Cure time goes by thickness of the meat, not the color.

I did Apple in my pellet smoker doesn't go lower than 150, it has a slight smoke flavor but none of the salty bacon like flavor

So a buddy wanted to me to smoke bacon, and bought the belly and gave me a recipe as follows

1 Tbsp maple syrup

1 Tbsp brown sugar

1 tsp black pepper

these ingredients called for 1 per pound

I messed up where it called for 1 per 5 pounds of the cure (pink curing salt) so I shorted those ingredients by a lot 2/10

so I used 2 of everything above 

I put it all in a large container with water and let it soak sunday to sunday, Im also gathering it should have been a rub and not a brine

I pulled from the brine and set it in the fridge for 24+ hours before smoking for 5

I think everyones covered my mistakes here LOL 

is there anything I can salvage from this????

appreciate the help

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky