Bacon issue...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wes w

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 31, 2012
NW North Carolina
Good evening friends,

I've been curing and creating bacon for several years now.   I've never had this issue before.   I want to be sure its ok before giving it to the family.   

I use pops wet cure and have every since I started making bacon.  

The issue is,  I had a portion that was almost pure pink in the fat.  I've never seen this before.

I'd love ya'll input on this.  Its it normal, should I be worried about it.

Thanks in advance,

Wes

That's different! Never saw that and can't think of a reason why it would happen. There is no myoglobin in fat and not a high concentration of pink dye in the brine. If it smells/tastes good, I would eat it...JJ

That's different! Never saw that and can't think of a reason why it would happen. There is no myoglobin in fat and not a high concentration of pink dye in the brine. If it smells/tastes good, I would eat it.
Other then the color, I didn't see or smell anything wrong with it.  It just looked odd.

Hey Wes....   Morning.....  Here's an interesting article on blue pig fat...   Maybe something the pig ate or drank... 

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2015/09/10/photos-wild-pig-blue-fat-found-california/
Good to hear from you Dave.  Hope all is well in your corner of the world. 

At least mine is a pretty pink color.    I haven't eaten any of the bacon yet, didn't even do a test fry.  The honorable JJ said if it tasted good and smelt good to go for it.  It smelled fine to me, but it was half frozen too.

Time will tell.  If you don't hear from me again in a few months, you know not to eat the pink stuff.....

Personally, I would try a little bit the first time---Maybe one slice.

Then the next day 2 or 3 slices. Then see which room you spend the most time in over the next few days.

If that's any room, other than the bathroom or a hospital room, you're good to go. 
icon14.gif

Bear

Personally, I would try a little bit the first time---Maybe one slice.

Then the next day 2 or 3 slices. Then see which room you spend the most time in over the next few days.

If that's any room, other than the bathroom or a hospital room, you're good to go. 
icon14.gif

Bear
LOL!!   I love a positive thinker.   Only about a lb was pink.   Yeah,  I'm not throwing it out without a fight.    

Talked with my butcher  friend and she said she'd never seen it before.  Her only concern was if the belly was good to start with...being I bought if from her....  :-)

Thanks for the input my friends.   Doesn't matter how many runs of bacon you do,  you still have to rely on the experts.   Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky