1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Bacon ~ Foamheart

Discussion in 'Bacon' started by foamheart, Jan 12, 2018.

1. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

So the first cold front blew in about 3 hours ago and we have a colder one coming in the morning. A fella needs something to do to countermand the cabin fever. So I fell into a good deal and appropriated some sow belly, at a decent price. So they didn't know what they were doing with the skin, on? Or off? It was mostly ragged. I could live with it, at such a good deal.

Made up Pop's brine cure (2 gallons), added some of my own ingredients. And Wa-La, <POOF> we now have a 2 week wait........LOL <snaps finger> So much for cabin fever!

Sow Belly!! Around 50 pounds give or take a few.

IMG_8524.JPG

My professional brine bucket!

IMG_8525.JPG

The magical mystery nectar...... Mmmmm good stuff Maynard!

IMG_8526.JPG

Tucked into the beer reefer for a couple a weeks.

IMG_8527.JPG

I saved a couple a pieces of belly, now to dream about all the things possible I can do with 'em.

Too be continued.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  2. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Kevin I may have to visit your fridge it has way to much Beer
    Good start I'll be watching
    Richie

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  3. PerazziMx14

PerazziMx14 Smoking Fanatic

Please remove

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  4. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Waiting!! Well you can always make a couple of pies while you wait.

Warren

5. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I'm in Kevin
    Gary

6. foamheart

I cut up a little of one of the extra pieces and pulled out some chopped brisket and POOF!!

IMG_8531.JPG

Supposedly to the 20's tonight. Was in the 70's yesterday.

So grab a brew and a bowl and pull up a piece of real estate!

7. foamheart

Ready to remedy that situation!

8. foamheart

I thought about it...... still not sure. A month is such a long time.

9. foamheart

LOL...... I am kind of full of chili and beer right now. Nothing sounds good....LOL I assure you the problem is quantity and not quality.

10. foamheart

Oh my Gary, I am sooooo miserable right now.....LOL it may take me the 2 weeks to eat again....

11. PerazziMx14

Please remove

12. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit

Kevin,you forgot to use -Shazam!
    Bacon burnt ends? Ground Formed Bacon for a quick fix?

Bill

13. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I have been wanting to try bacon burnt ends, and after seeing your pot of chili, I am thinking I will add them to my next batch of chili!
    Al

14. foamheart

I just saw a person's crackling pork, not to be confused with cracklins. I've done one here already, but it sure looked good.

I am thinking of rolling it like pancetta, smoking it, then a 500+ degree oven to crackle the skin. Last one I think I then glazed, but .... the glaze softened the crackle.

But, still thinking.

Oh and Al, I bet that would be a great way to introduce smoke into the pot of chili!

15. PerazziMx14

Please remove

rick sours likes this.
  16. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Those look good Perazzi. Just don't open the overhead door. :eek:
    Gary

17. foamheart

You are preaching to the choir. I have been making bacon a few years now and like you, hell like everyone that makes their first bacon, I was hooked. I have been putting off and putting off a slicer. I am trying to stay with one toy per year. I had zero'd in one the Cabellas 12" when they were 100.00 off and free frt at Christmas. But I just couldn't justify it. So now if when I buy it I'll just laugh at myself.

18. foamheart

I keep hearing all these fast food places with BBQ Bacon sandwiches. I know from my educational period with bacon that at about 140 to 150 IT it jiggles like Sanity Clause's belly. I am thinking just a little higher with some BBQ sauce sounds mighty awesome too. On a homemade Bolillo loaf, I believe I could stand on the corner and sell 'em for a quarter a piece all day long. But still thinking......

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  19. i'm in Kevin!

20. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Sell them a quarter a piece dang man I can't remember when the last time uh can't remember the last time uh can't remember dang these senior moments. Really a quarter a piece you would cause a bus riot to Mississippi to buy them up.

Warren