Bacon cure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Medina Joe

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 6, 2018
Ohio
So I cut off 1 1/2 pounds off my 11lb pork belly. I used http://diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html Handy Universal Cure Calculator. I have a little moisture. I started this on Friday. It's only 1 to 1 /12 inch thick. So should I cure it only 7 daysor 14? It's still pink looks great. I'll take a pic of it tonight. Thanks for all the help.

IMG_2871.JPG

I'd go 2 weeks... Seems to improve the flavor of the bacon.... you can't over cure the meat using this method....

Thanks Dave. 2 things i'am worried about. spoiled meat & to much cure 1#

Use a calibrated thermometer and check your fridge temperature... 35-38F is good....
Using a good grams scale and the DDF calculator is good... 1 tsp. cure#1 per 5#'s of stuff is good....
Ppm is based on weight vs. weight.... grams per grams makes life easy...
150 grams in 1,000,000 grams is 150 Ppm.... that's how that's figured...

Reactions: Medina Joe
I picked up the scale you linked to Amazon. I have never checked my temp of my fridge. One more thing to buy to be safe. So 1 teaspoon per 5lb sounds great

1 other question. I just sealed my bacon in a package. Not vacuum sealed. Is that going to be a problem?

If you have just taken it out of the smoker, I would wire rack it on a sheet pan with nothing covering it... let it age for a few days up to weeks, then slice and vac pack the slices..

If you are letting it cure, I leave mine on a wire rack to cure and dehydrate a bit to intensify flavor, like dry aging a steak...

Wanted to up date my bacon. Pulled out rinsed off. Put in fridge for 24hr last night. will smoke starting tonight & Friday. How does the meat look after being cured for 14 days?
IMG_2877.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky