• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Back Ribs question

Dale Simle

Joined Jan 20, 2021
I have been doing Costco's St Louis Ribs for a long time using the 3-2-1 method. My wife threw a curve at me when she came home from Costco with a package of Back Ribs. I found 1 suggestion that said a 2-2-1 method would be better for cooking them. Would they do well with the 3-2-1 or is the 2-2-1 a method that would be better?

Last edited:

SmokingUPnorth

Smoking UPNorth
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 7, 2017
Baby back is usually 2-2-1 method. 3-2-1 for baby backs are a little too long. Lately I’ve been doing 2-1.5-1 since I think at least for my Webber and fluctuating temps is better. 2-2-1 has been a little too much fall off the bone for me.

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Welcome glad to have you on board.

Not much help to your question as I'm a no wrapper.

Warren

kruizer

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 7, 2015
3-2-1 is for spare or St Louis cut rubs and 2-2-1 is for baby back ribs but the best to do is to check for the texture you want by probing.

Millberry

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2020
Baby back is usually 2-2-1 method. 3-2-1 for baby backs are a little too long. Lately I’ve been doing 2-1.5-1 since I think at least for my Webber and fluctuating temps is better. 2-2-1 has been a little too much fall off the bone for me.
but----these are not baby backs These are Beef ribs?????

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
P
They are Pork. Just labeled as Back Ribs. I am really not sure if they are Babie's or not
post a pick to be sure, but Costco here only sells pork ribs as st Loise or BB. BB are swift and commonly labeled as pork back ribs - pretty sure....I think... need the pic :)

Dale Simle

Joined Jan 20, 2021
P

post a pick to be sure, but Costco here only sells pork ribs as st Loise or BB. BB are swift and commonly labeled as pork back ribs - pretty sure....I think... need the pic :)
Costco here is the same. Either St Louis or Back Ribs. From what I am gathering so far they would be Baby Backs.

bbqbrett

Master of the Pit
Joined Jan 17, 2013
Are they fairly thick cut? Sometimes I get ribs labeled as back ribs from Fred Meyer and they still have a hefty part of the loin meat attached. If that is the case you probably can go 3-2-1. If they are the more true cut baby backs I would go 2-2-1.

TNJAKE

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 26, 2019
Now I see your pic. Definitely baby backs. 2-2-1 will be a good place to start until you figure out how to tweak them to your liking

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
Baby Backs for sure! I love them!

1MoreFord

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 4, 2020
OP, Tell us how much they weigh.

Pork ribs by whatever name cook similarly when the weight is the same. Lower weight - quicker cook. More weight - more time.

1MoreFord

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 4, 2020
You're at a similar weight to SL spares. They will cook similar. If you're cooking at 225°F then 2-2-1 is a good starting point.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.