Back Ribs question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dale Simle

Original poster
Jan 20, 2021
I have been doing Costco's St Louis Ribs for a long time using the 3-2-1 method. My wife threw a curve at me when she came home from Costco with a package of Back Ribs. I found 1 suggestion that said a 2-2-1 method would be better for cooking them. Would they do well with the 3-2-1 or is the 2-2-1 a method that would be better?

Last edited:
Baby back is usually 2-2-1 method. 3-2-1 for baby backs are a little too long. Lately I’ve been doing 2-1.5-1 since I think at least for my Webber and fluctuating temps is better. 2-2-1 has been a little too much fall off the bone for me.

They are Pork. Just labeled as Back Ribs. I am really not sure if they are Babie's or not

Baby back is usually 2-2-1 method. 3-2-1 for baby backs are a little too long. Lately I’ve been doing 2-1.5-1 since I think at least for my Webber and fluctuating temps is better. 2-2-1 has been a little too much fall off the bone for me.
but----these are not baby backs These are Beef ribs?????

1611176314230.png

P
They are Pork. Just labeled as Back Ribs. I am really not sure if they are Babie's or not
post a pick to be sure, but Costco here only sells pork ribs as st Loise or BB. BB are swift and commonly labeled as pork back ribs - pretty sure....I think... need the pic :)

P

post a pick to be sure, but Costco here only sells pork ribs as st Loise or BB. BB are swift and commonly labeled as pork back ribs - pretty sure....I think... need the pic :)
Costco here is the same. Either St Louis or Back Ribs. From what I am gathering so far they would be Baby Backs.

I did post a pic but it looks like it is waiting for approval. Hope it goes through.

Are they fairly thick cut? Sometimes I get ribs labeled as back ribs from Fred Meyer and they still have a hefty part of the loin meat attached. If that is the case you probably can go 3-2-1. If they are the more true cut baby backs I would go 2-2-1.

OP, Tell us how much they weigh.

Pork ribs by whatever name cook similarly when the weight is the same. Lower weight - quicker cook. More weight - more time.

You're at a similar weight to SL spares. They will cook similar. If you're cooking at 225°F then 2-2-1 is a good starting point.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky