Baby butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CharlotteLovesFood

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 30, 2018
England
So my butcher wanted £50 for a bone in pork butt...hell no! I'm still practicing and don't have the mouths to feed for that...except mine but I'm trying to be good! Haha.

Anyway he said he had some small rolled butts for £4 each so I was cool with that...for now anyway :D

So I'm getting to grips with quickly firing up my pit now, reaching temp, getting wood on and so on. So I smoked these babies trying to keep them between 240°f PT and 270°f PT wrapped at 160°F IT and pulled at 203°F. One thing I did do differently today besides where I got my meat from was use a chip smoking box and I'm not sure if i preferred my foil packets perhaps it's just change, I'll try it again to be sure :) Think I hit a small stall around the 140°f IT mark but it passed. Wind also wasn't on my side today it's really hot in Britain today my shoulders are burnt but my pork ones are good :D Anyway all things considering it was only a 7 hour smoke and I thought it tasted pretty damn great :p

Here are some pics...
20180520_223213.jpg
20180520_215525.jpg

Began misting with Apple juice + brown sugar...
20180520_102615.jpg

Salad, Apple, coleslaw...
20180520_215122.png

Didn't sauce this time just pan drippings...
20180520_215146.png

A drizzle of bbq sauce on finished plate instead
20180520_215308.png 20180520_215211.png 20180520_215250.png

Thanks for reading
Charlotte :D

Last edited:
Wow! You need to do a post on how you get such great looking plates. Of course it helps when you have such great looking pulled pork. Very nice again Charlotte. How did you like the difference in putting the drippings with the meat and saucing on the bun?

Very fancy there. You kept the skin on and cooked them.. that's different..
Sorry for the confusion...
I did actually take the skin off, it's in the fridge...I did want to use the skins to baste my meat and make cracking but with my set up I don't really have the means... So I will perhaps cook the crackling separately today...here's a pic.. 20180521_070259.jpg

Reactions: Rings Я Us
Wow! You need to do a post on how you get such great looking plates. Of course it helps when you have such great looking pulled pork. Very nice again Charlotte. How did you like the difference in putting the drippings with the meat and saucing on the bun?
Awww thanks...haha I swear I don't mess about with it too much...I just throw it on quickly usually with shakey hungry hands :rolleyes:

I actually preferred it... whilst I like sauce on PP when I tried a bit it of the PP it was so juicy and flavoursome it didn't feel like it needed saucing at all. So I just tossed it in pan juices (which would of been from my apple juice and drippings) I think the drizzle of bbq sauce at the end was plenty enough to mix up with the salad leaves :p

Terrific looking plate Charlotte, your quickly becoming quite the Q'er.
Congratulations of a successful smoke.

Point for sure.

Chris

I should have spent a minute looking.. I saw those indentations from the butcher's twine after the rub was on and it kinda made it look like the skin was still on. :D

My bad

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky