Baby Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

markyque

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 19, 2013
Prior Lake MN
I would lean-trim and roll with a wet-to-dry smoke chamber for moisture retention in the meat if it were me, but I think if you lightly trim the fat-cap and then cross-hatch score it should be fine. It will bulk up quite a bit as cooking progresses due to shrinkage. I would probe after a couple hours in the center of the packer...that will give you an average temp of the flat from end to end. The point will gain some more thickness from shrinkage so it should be probed as well, after the flat reaches your desired temp (point will always lag behind on IT because it it is thicker, unless you find a hotter spot to lay it on the grate).

Should work out fine...I had a 7lb packer from a case purchase a couple years ago, and it smoked up just like a 15lbr,, only I did change temps for the smaller brisket. I would start at 225* to pasteurize the surface for about an hour, then you can drop back to 210* or so to slow the cooking down...but there are some who say 275* works for them with an average sized packer, so 225* all the way for little guy probably won't hurt a thing. I'm a low & slow brisket smoker, myself, so I'd drop back the chamber temps a little after start-up...just me.

Separate the point/flat as needed to get the point finished without over-cooking the flat, of course.

Eric

Thanks Eric...I've been intimidated by the wet-to-dry method, but I guess it‘s time to step up.

Thanks Eric...I've been intimidated by the wet-to-dry method, but I guess it‘s time to step up.
Really, it's not that difficult to get rolling with it. I did go through a lot of details in posts, but the basic principle is pretty simple.

If you haven't seen the Wiki yet, it may help...if you've followed my threads and a few from others who have used this method, you have seen different ways to do it with different meats, but once you have the basic idea how it to make it work for your smoker, the rest is actually very easy.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/wet-to-dry-no-foil-smoke-chamber-method-for-smoking-meats

If you want to give it a shot and need any help with getting ready, let me know. It can change your whole outlook on hot-smoking...it sure has for me.

EDIT: if you want to separate the point/flat before you smoke and need help, these will get you started...first one is with thawed brisket..second is with partially frozen, just in case you run into that with yours, like happens to me once in a while...separation is much easier thasn it sounds once you get a sharp knife and board an just get after it...:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...ed-beef-brisket-methods-recipe-q-view-maximus

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/105288/2-packers-go-to-pastrami-school-q-view-2-recipes-methods

Don't fear the brisket...just give it it's due respect...you'll do fine, and your brisket will provide you with some fine dining.

Eric

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky