Baby Back Ribs - Maiden Voyage Of The Newbie Smoker!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

swamp puppy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Warren, OR
Just burned in the new MasterBuilt 30" and have a rack of ribs that had been destined for the ol' grill that are rubbed up and have a new destiny as the test product for my first adventure in smoking.

Confidence is high since i have basically been doing this on the grill forever and a digital smoker should make it easy for a hack like me. ;)  lol.

At any rate, this being my first attempt, Pics will follow as well as an honest self critique on how it all ended up.

icon_cool.gif

Now if you have been looking for the how to's here you should be fine. If you happen to have a question we are here 24-7

Ok, not sure what ya'll are talking about with this Qview thingy...so hopefully the good old fashioned way of inserting pics with IMG tags and a URL work.

First off,  Ribs came out pretty darn good.  A lot more moist than off the "Q" and definately got more of the mesquite flavor.  I tossed a little water in the pan in the smoker which i assume is what helped with the moistness of the meat?  I may not do that again as i do tend to prefer a drier rib.

And now...  the "money shots"

d0cb4a39_IMG_0432.jpg

b046ae65_IMG_0434.jpg

5b1a33cf_IMG_0437.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing like a successful smoke on your first try. Your hooked now. Repeat after me "My name is swamp puppy & I am a smokeaholic". Welcome to the club!

How about some details?

What did ya put on them?

Cook temps and times?

I have not done ribs yet, but love them and like to try it.

Thanks

How about some details?

What did ya put on them?

Cook temps and times?

I have not done ribs yet, but love them and like to try it.

Thanks
This was a pretty basic run and i was kind of time constrained, so i didn't go "all out" on them.  I used a basic Cajun/Pork rub that i bought as a pre-mix and added that about 2 hours ahead of time and let sit in the 'fridge.   Got the smoker fired up to 225F (based on a number of online posts/recipies i read) and waited for the mesquite to start smoking.  Added the ribs, waited for the temp to recover to close to the 225 mark, then set the timer for 2 hours.  Added about a 1/2 load of new chips about half way though which probably wasn't neccessary (still new at this remember).   After the smoke i pulled them out and slapped them on the grill which was running around 275F and kept them on their just long enough to get a nice BBQ sauce basting cooked on.  for the sauce, again, nothing special.  Jack Daniels store bought i think it was.

The only thing i think i  would do different next time would be to make up my own rub and maybe not put water in the smoker's water pan. 

Ok I know your new, but I gotta ask, why only two hours in the smoker?

You could of just wrapped them in foil with a little apple juice or whatever you like. Put them back into the smoker for a couple more hours & you would not believe how tender they are! Then finish on the grill if you want the marks or carmelization? Just wondering??

Ok I know your new, but I gotta ask, why only two hours in the smoker?

You could of just wrapped them in foil with a little apple juice or whatever you like. Put them back into the smoker for a couple more hours & you would not believe how tender they are! Then finish on the grill if you want the marks or carmelization? Just wondering??
Well,  like i mentioned, i was time constrained.  I did get the smoker fired up until about 5:30pm and pushed it about as long as i could without starving me and the girlfriend to death.  lol.  Since this was pretty much a trial run for me i was happy that i got them in and out of the smoker without having the night end with me calling Domino's for Pizza.  I have a pork loin and may get some more ribs that i will run through when i have more time and will try letting those go for 4 hours or so and see how that rolls.

I must of missed the time constrant, but I get. I had to call dominos a few times meself!!

Good luck with the tenderloin. They're delicious

i usually do the loins in the crock pot and make pulled pork out of them.  Not sure exactly what direction i am going to go yet with the smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky