• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
SecondHandSmoker SecondHandSmoker I heard that! For a few years each time I would open my Grill to cook, there would occasionally be 1 field mouse in it, came in from the bottom I guess. As soon as I opened the lid, it would run out. There was no urine or fecies to interfere with the food area, as it was always in the lower grease tray. I never told my Wife about it since it not worth mentioning. If she ever knew, not only would we be getting rid of the grill, we would not be having anything grilled ever again. LOL. She's funny that way. Live and learn, right?

In the bottom of my MES 40 Gen #2.5, there is a little drawer, below the drain hole in the floor. Living in the woods, like we do presents a serious mouse problem. My Log house is tight, so no mice are in the house, but they are in my garage & all around the outside the house, including the Front Porch, where my smoker is. So I put big blocks & pellets of Rat poison in my garage & on the Front porch. So the one time I took the cover off, I pulled the drawer out, and there was a mouse in the drawer. Also the drawer was about 10% full of the Green Mouse poison pellets. They were storing Poison in that drawer for the Winter. So I cleaned out the Drawer, plugged the drain hole with Steel Wool, and placed a big block of Rat Poison in the Drawer. Now every time I check that little Drawer, the Block of Rat Poison is smaller than the last time.
Eat Hardy, Mates!!!

Bear

A hibanker is a small wash plant used in gold mining/prospecting. Avatar is a couple of small NC/SC pickers.

Hijack73 Hijack73

Can you please explain what a "wash plant" is and how it's used in goldmining. I'm not familiar with that type of plant.

Thanks,

John

Last edited:
Hijack73 Hijack73

Can you please explain what a "wash plant" is and how it's used in goldmining. I'm not familiar with that type of plant.

Thanks,

John

Not to butt in here, but you should tune into a TV Series called "Gold Rush".
It's a really interesting program featuring 3 or 4 Gold Mining outfits using huge equipment (Dozers, Hoes, etc) and they all have & use various "Wash Plants" that all the stuff gets dumped into, and washed, causing the gold to drop to the bottom, and everything else (Tailings) gets washed away or taken away on a conveyor.
Those guys sometimes leave with a Few Million$$$ in a season, with a crew of 5 to 8 guys. Biggest expense is their equipment & fuel.
Much of this is in Alaska.

Bear

Last edited:
Thanks Bear,

I felt really stupid after I posted the first thread (#83) thinking a wash plant was some sort of vegetation, but then my better senses kicked in.

LOL,

John

Last edited:
Very interesting and great idea for a thread! Mine is nothing as cool as others but I bet some people might want to know. Zwiller is twin in German. It came up with it back in the early internet days and forget how I even came up with it. I don't have a twin but just wanted something unique and the name sounded cool with the German influence.

Avatar is a merger of 2 hobbies: homebrewing and photography. One of my food related pics that I was proud of that shot and took me a lot of time and money to get it where I wanted. Probably time to update as I do have a few smoked things that turned out well.

Not to butt in here, but you should tune into a TV Series called "Gold Rush".
It's a really interesting program featuring 3 or 4 Gold Mining outfits using huge equipment (Dozers, Hoes, etc) and they all have & use various "Wash Plants" that all the stuff gets dumped into, and washed, causing the gold to drop to the bottom, and everything else (Tailings) gets washed away or taken away on a conveyor.
Those guys sometimes leave with a Few Million$$$ in a season, with a crew of 5 to 8 guys. Biggest expense is their equipment & fuel.
Much of this is in Alaska.

Bear
When my wife and I took a cruse to Alaska we went to an abandoned gold mine and actually panned for gold.

This is what I discovered when panning !

IMG_0053.jpg

John

Name is first initial and last name
My Avatar is a reminder of the evolution called life. Being a product of the 60’s in the SF bay area and taking advantage of ALL the non-FDA approved substances, to excess . Working in the trades for 40 years with the belly bucking and good old boys, liquid lunches included, again to excess. Raising a family with everything that goes along with it, by far mostly good. Coming to the realization that I really enjoyed cooking somewhere along the line. And that including others in the results of those cooks up the fun. And if I get to be outdoors cooking, even better.
So, accepting my reality. Today I smoke pork……..and beef and chicken and salmon and eggs and …..
APHT1923 (1).JPG

Last edited:
I ride a Kawasaki motorcycle. One day my brother in law tried to call me, called the wrong number. When the guy answered, my BIL responded with "I figured you'd be out riding your cow", To which the guy responded "who the hell is this?!". When he told me I just came up with Kawboy. I use that on some forums, Reproman on some, and used to use Polarpig on the sledding forums. The avatar is just a couple of picnics I did early on.

That is one great and unusual story Stuart, love it! I smoked cigarettes for 55 years until right before the pandemic, quit cold turkey. I'm not gonna get up on some soapbox and BS you, it is tough, but it can be done. Once you get the attitude that the tail can't be waggin' the dog there's no going back, ciggys stink and will aid in shortening your life. Go two weeks, tell yourself any pussy can do that, then go two more. Maybe once or twice a week I'll still get the urge, but that crap is all over, I like to be the dog waggin' my tail! Life is short enough as it is. RAY

Ray,

You got me beat there. Only 47 years for me. I had actually stopped once back in the early 80's. My wife had stopped for about year several years ago. Bad part about that was we didn't stop together, I continued to smoke which made even tougher for her. Yep, I was bad influence on her. I know we both need to quit at the same time but that won't happen until we burn through our supply of RYO tobacco and tubes.

SecondHandSmoker SecondHandSmoker I heard that! For a few years each time I would open my Grill to cook, there would occasionally be 1 field mouse in it, came in from the bottom I guess. As soon as I opened the lid, it would run out. There was no urine or fecies to interfere with the food area, as it was always in the lower grease tray. I never told my Wife about it since it not worth mentioning. If she ever knew, not only would we be getting rid of the grill, we would not be having anything grilled ever again. LOL. She's funny that way. Live and learn, right?

LOL. I wouldn't mention it either.

In the bottom of my MES 40 Gen #2.5, there is a little drawer, below the drain hole in the floor. Living in the woods, like we do presents a serious mouse problem. My Log house is tight, so no mice are in the house, but they are in my garage & all around the outside the house, including the Front Porch, where my smoker is. So I put big blocks & pellets of Rat poison in my garage & on the Front porch. So the one time I took the cover off, I pulled the drawer out, and there was a mouse in the drawer. Also the drawer was about 10% full of the Green Mouse poison pellets. They were storing Poison in that drawer for the Winter. So I cleaned out the Drawer, plugged the drain hole with Steel Wool, and placed a big block of Rat Poison in the Drawer. Now every time I check that little Drawer, the Block of Rat Poison is smaller than the last time.
Eat Hardy, Mates!!!

Bear

John,

My SmokeTronix has a grease catch tray too. But since I keep it stored and covered in the shed, it is pretty much protected from mice and rats. Or maybe I've just been lucky this time around.
We do have a problem with pack rats down here and most people I know use the poison pellets. We don't use the poison pellets because of our cats and dog. Every once in while a rat will find its way into our screened in patio where the cats hang out. The dog is a four legged Hoover who eats anything she finds. We're just taking precautions to not accidently poison our pets.

Does Mrs. Bear know about the mice getting into your MES?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky