Authentic Pork Carnitas/Carnitas de cerdo autentico

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great,may try to make this in the near soon,had it at a restaurant last weekend,it was good but no color/char/crisp on the meat so was missing a added flavor imo
Thanks Mike.
Carnitas, like many other things, are hit-n-miss at all but the best Mexican restaurants.
For me the rice and beans are the litmus test of how good the average Mexican joint is, and not many rate well.
After that I start looking at their Chile Rellenos, Carnitas, Lengua, Al Pastor and whether or not they serve a good Horchata.
Another fantastic looking meal!
That final shot should be on the cover of a food magazine!!
Al
Thanks Al,
especially for the compliment on the pic, I try hard for good presentation pics.

Looks magnificent John. It will take me about 30 hrs to drive down to AL for my plate. Keep it warm.

point for sure

Chris
Thanks Chris,
save your gas, its all gone now except for some rice.

CR, I would weigh 400 pounds if I hung out with you! :) You post some mighty fine recipes ! like
Appreciate that CM.
Me too, glad I don't eat like this everyday.

Made a nice lunch of the leftovers.
Added some salsa verde to the pork and it reheated real nice.
Beans and rice with more salsa verde.
Just woke up from my after lunch siesta.

wZFvcuh.jpg

9qr7EGU.jpg

Reactions: tallbm
I don't think I'll ever convince my family to try this at home because of the pot of lard sadly.

Tom, not exactly the same but most Carnita recipes can be made by braising. Slow cooker, oven or if you got an Instant Pot, decent Carnita are an hour away. The key is to brown the raw meat then brown the coarsely shredded pork at the end. Take a look at recipes. Lot do not use lard...JJ

Magnífico!
I just pinned your Carnitas recipe to my all time favorites folder.
Do you ever add a sauce to your Carnitas when serving? A local restaurant serves "El Diablo" sauce that will melt your face that I would like to try at home. Spicy flavor that compliments the tender, crispy pork.
This recipe you shared seems to be the absolute full unit for authentic Carnitas.
Thanks,

Magnífico!
I just pinned your Carnitas recipe to my all time favorites folder.
Do you ever add a sauce to your Carnitas when serving? A local restaurant serves "El Diablo" sauce that will melt your face that I would like to try at home. Spicy flavor that compliments the tender, crispy pork.
This recipe you shared seems to be the absolute full unit for authentic Carnitas.
Thanks,
Appreciate that AP,
yes, I often offer Pico de Gallo, Roja or Verde salsas.
Of course once you start deliciously drowning it in a chile sauce it is no longer Carnitas it becomes Chile Rojo/Verde.
Yes, this recipe is as authentic as it gets.

Way late joining in. Been looking at authentic Carnitas recipes. The best I found use the same ingredients as you plus a can of evaporated milk without marinating, which was mentioned in one reply. I'm guessing you would recommend marinating?

Some threads on this board make me want to lick my screen while I groan.

Party on, Dude.

party_on_dude.png

That marinade seems like you're making your own Mojo Criollo, bitter citrus with a lot of garlic. I'm accustomed to it being made from sour oranges but your orange/lime combination is a close approximation.

Some threads on this board make me want to lick my screen while I groan.

That marinade seems like you're making your own Mojo Criollo, bitter citrus with a lot of garlic. I'm accustomed to it being made from sour oranges but your orange/lime combination is a close approximation.
Thanks,
I know, right, I come here to just salivate over other's Q.

Yeah, if I could get Sour oranges I would use them, but I just make do.

We need to charter a tour bus to go grocery shopping in Miami. Make sure it has a trailer hitch to pull a smoker. Grab something spiky out of the produce department, and use it to kill whatever is crawling out of the fish case. That's fresh.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky