Authentic Pork Carnitas/Carnitas de cerdo autentico

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Menu
Authentic Pork Carnitas
Mexican rice
Ranch Style Beans
Apple Cinnamon Strudel Cake

Authentic Pork Carnitas
Dry brine 2" cubes of pork
UwKZDNC.jpg

Then marinate for 2-3 hours in
3 parts Sour orange juice, 1 part lime juice, keep rinds in marinade and cooking.
3-5 cloves of garlic, 2-3 Bay leaves, salt and cumin.
To mimic Sour Oranges for this or other Mexican recipes such as Carne asada or Puerco pibil, just mix equal parts Grapefruit juice, Orange juice, Lime juice and Vinegar.
U4d8aGg.jpg

Drain marinade and everything else goes into the dutch oven, add in a quartered onion
ewwpoDs.jpg

I use enough bacon grease and lard to just cover the meat, and cook for 2 hours or till tender over medium heat.
Bd15KWs.jpg

Then I switch to high heat to crisp the pork.
1Y1Rrad.jpg

I got sidetracked while crisping the pork and it got a little darker than I usually cook it.
But it was still tender and juicy inside.
QDiea2d.jpg
VS
r65kHCP.jpg

Serve with fresh lemon or lime for squeezing over the carnitas, cilantro, onion and fresh salsa for garnishes
I also lightly browned a stack of fresh corn tortillas and served for tacos

Arroz Mexicana aka Mexican Rice
zwhXqY4.jpg

Ranch Style Beans / Frijoles Estilo Rancho

1lb of Pintos, soak overnight
1/4C bacon grease, lard or EVOO
Approx 4C each chicken broth and water, equal parts to cover beans
1 large onion, quartered
1 large Roma tomato
1 large Jalapeno chile
3-5 garlic cloves
2T salt
1T paprika
1-1/2T each Guajillo, Ancho and Arbol chile powders
1t each granulated onion and garlic
1t cumin

In a large stock pot add the oil of choice, the onion, tomato, garlic and chile
Roast the veggies, get a nice char on them
Add 1t cumin, 1/3T each of Guajillo, Ancho and Arbol chile powders
A bit more olive oil and a bit more char.
Then remove the veggies onion, tomato and jalapeno, puree them and set aside till the last hour or so of the cook and then added back.

Add the beans, and enough chicken broth and water to cover them
Add 1T paprika, 1/2T each Guajillo, Ancho and Arbol chile powders, 1t each granulated onion and garlic, 1t cumin and the salt
Bring to a rolling boil and then lower heat to a slow simmer and cover
Simmer for the rest of the day while stirring occasionally to prevent sticking/burning
About an hour before serving add back the pureed veggies

Sorry no pics of the beans today
Apple Cinnamon Strudel Cake

Preheat oven to 350° and butter a 9x13 baking dish

In a large mixing bowl whisk together
1-1/2C brown sugar
1 large egg
1/3C vegetable oil
1C buttermilk

Then stir in
1t baking soda
1t vanilla extract

To these mix in
2-1/2C flour
1-1/2C diced apple
Pour into baking dish

In a small mixing bowl combine the following, use a pastry blender, fork or your hands
Should have the consistency of wet sand
1/3C sugar
1-1/2t cinnamon
2T melted butter

Spread this over the batter, you may add some chopped nuts if you like, I added walnuts
d9nI8Pg.jpg
g6vtNUe.jpg

Lets Eat!
VRKe7P1.jpg
nX8Xapz.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, Chile...you eat mighty high on the hog... looks like a fine meal. I eat like you do every day I would top 350!!! Another post well well do e!
Thanks you Jeff.
Everyday? Dang'it boy, I wish. I'm generally just a casual weekend warrior.
During the week at work it sammies in the cooler and a meal or two at an inexpensive restaurant.
I just happen to be home today.

Nice Bro. My family loves Carnitas as well. I do mine in lard but add a can of cola, can of evaporated milk, Cinnamon, onion, garlic and bayleaf. I crisp the meat at the end...JJ

Looks great,may try to make this in the near soon,had it at a restaurant last weekend,it was good but no color/char/crisp on the meat so was missing a added flavor imo

Looks magnificent John. It will take me about 30 hrs to drive down to AL for my plate. Keep it warm.

point for sure

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky