At An Impasse: Looking At High-End Kitchen Knives

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So I've been going through this. I have a few victorinox fibrox knives I use for butchering game and they are nice, cut well, and are sharp. But not what I might consider high end. Very good knives for my application, yes.

Now, all my research I landed on trying some Japanese knives. Since there is a clearance sale on cutlery and more , I'll be trying a few from Yaxell across several lines. I dont mind mixing and matching across different lines. They are all made from good steel and all have good reviews. I guess you just gotta take the leap.

Here is wht I got from BBB, and it is currently on sale.

Very much appreciate it John. Am I reading that correctly? That knife set is currently priced 50% off at $140.00? If so, I'll probably go ahead and order it. That just looks like a screaming deal for sure.

Robert

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
I have a very nice set of henckels that we got for our wedding 9 years ago. Been put in the dishwasher and rarely have to sharpen. No cracks and still cut great. After that I have just been purchasing what I need. Got a really nice wusthoff knife for Christmas last year and it never goes in the dishwasher. Use it for cutting large pieces of meat. Happy with both brands.

I purchased a $12 12" granton edge knife off of amazon a couple years ago for brisket. Plastic handle. Also a couple of cheapo filet knifes off amazon too. Honestly cut just as well as the expensive ones. Don't get a ton of use but they are holding up well.

Too many choices man. Save the money and buy some more of those CPB prime ribs :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: fullborebbq
Very much appreciate it John. Am I reading that correctly? That knife set is currently priced 50% off at $140.00? If so, I'll probably go ahead and order it. That just looks like a screaming deal for sure.

Robert
Yep you got the price right... that's why I bought them last year at this time as they were also heavily discounted.

John

Too many choices man. Save the money and buy some more of those CPB prime ribs :emoji_laughing:

Well, the knives are a benefit since Tracy has spent a small fortune on her crafting, plus I have my Christmas bonus. Insofar as the CPB ribs go, I have carte blanche on those and can order any time I want. Don't need to make a choice of one or the other.

He's right, too many choices,
Robert

Yep you got the price right... that's why I bought them last year at this time as they were also heavily discounted.

I'm tired of beating myself up over this. Went ahead and ordered these John. I figure at that price if I look up in a year and for some reason don't like them, I can raffle the set off here in the forum and not be out anything.

I did however look at some of the Yaxell knives and was duly impressed. They look great but a virtually identical set to the ones I ordered was the same price as what I ordered when not on sale. Oh well, I might become a collector of kitchen knives :emoji_laughing:

Decision finally made,
Robert

enjoy the new weapons! be careful with the bread knife - for some reason that one takes off more flesh than the rest.

I think the Video below says it all. However, I spent a couple of hours researching knives. While I would pick and choose individual knives. Here are the sets I would look at...

I have the Victorinox knives. If I was to take a step up in quality these Mercer Culinary knives are highly rated...

If I was not worried about money, without going crazy, I would likely buy this set...

www.cutleryandmore.com

MAC Professional Knife Block Set, 9 Piece, Acacia | Cutlery and More
Shop for MAC Professional Knife Sets at Cutlery and More. We are your source for everything MAC Knives with FREE shipping on orders over $49. We are experts in kitchen knives & cookware.
www.cutleryandmore.com
www.cutleryandmore.comx

Enjoy the new toys! I'm just about to commit to the Yaxell's. I'll be taking advantage of the clearance and factory second inventory to build out my new kitchen collection. Glad I'm not the only one that got hung up overthinking the decision.

However, I spent a couple of hours researching knives. While I would pick and choose individual knives.

Aw crap. Can't tell you how much I appreciate this Jimmy but by the time I saw this I'd already ordered the Zwilling set that John posted. Make no mistake about it though, these have been bookmarked for future reference...maybe as soon as a couple weeks. If I find anything about the ones I ordered that I don't like, I'll grind them into scrap metal and get the Mercer set...or possibly the MAC set. Couple those two with the Yaxell knives, I'm still kinda at a loss. Hell, I might order three or four sets and never be at a loss for kitchen knives :emoji_laughing:

UGH!!
Robert

enjoy the new weapons! be careful with the bread knife - for some reason that one takes off more flesh than the rest.

Funny you should say this. When I got my first set if Chicago Cutlery many moons ago, I was using the bread knife to cut a few different loaves of bread. Between loaves I figured I'd just wipe off the blade of the bread knife on my pants versus washing it each time. OOPS!! First wipe, I managed to slice through my pants and my thigh. Yep, that baby was sharp and learned me a lesson real quick. Lost a few pints of blood but won't ever do that again :emoji_wink:

Still have the scar,
Robert

Chefs have much different and essential outlook on knives than home cooks. Chefs use their knives for hours and hours each day. Home cooks, maybe an hour total.

You'll be happy with those German forged knives (Two men logo). I've had the Spanish forged version for years (same logo but one man) and all they need is a few brushes with the steel and even frozen meat is no problem.

Enjoy the new tools!

Aw crap. Can't tell you how much I appreciate this Jimmy but by the time I saw this I'd already ordered the Zwilling set that John posted. Make no mistake about it though, these have been bookmarked for future reference...maybe as soon as a couple weeks. If I find anything about the ones I ordered that I don't like, I'll grind them into scrap metal and get the Mercer set...or possibly the MAC set. Couple those two with the Yaxell knives, I'm still kinda at a loss. Hell, I might order three or four sets and never be at a loss for kitchen knives :emoji_laughing:

UGH!!
Robert
Robert,

BBB has a real good return policy....I would go that route and apply the refund to the new set.

Not that I am cheap or anything but I am cheap. :emoji_astonished:

John

I am a meat cutter, and have always used meat cutting knives. I have a Victorinox 12" Cimeter, plus 6" Victorinox curved flexible boning knives and Dexter 6" straight rigid boning knives. I also purchased a 10" brisket slicing knife too.

12" Victorinox Cimeter: https://www.bunzlpd.com/victorinox-rosewood-handle-cimeter-knives

6" Victorinox curved boning knives: https://www.bunzlpd.com/victorinox-curved-boning-knives-with-fibrox-handles

Dexter 6" straight boning knives: https://www.bunzlpd.com/straight-boning-knives-sofgrip-handle

brisket slicing knife: https://www.bunzlpd.com/granton-edge-beef-slicer-knives

Reactions: sawhorseray
Robert, Congrats. I'm confident you will be happy with the 5 Star Zwillings. They are nice, well made knives. Concentrate on learning to use the Steel. Dressing rather than sharpening, add decades to a knifes life...JJ

Congrats on the new blades Robert, they should serve you well. As you know, my knife storage issues have been resolved. RAY

Last edited:
You did fine Robert. I went through a similar process and ended up with the Pro series which fit my hand better. One thing you will need to know is what angle these blades are set for, 20º or 15º.
Here is the response I got back from them.
Screenshot 2020-01-24 08.19.48.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky