Arm Roast trial run

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

knittingneo

Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Milwaukee, WI, USA
Ok so I started out with about a 5 pound arm roast I had in the freezer from our latest cow purchase.  I decided to try a coffee rub on it.  I slathered it with equal parts Worschershire and Roasted Garlic oil.  Then I massaged in my rub.

1T Dark roast Coffee

2T Butchers Blend steak rub

1T Johnny;s Hunters Blend

1T Penzey 4 spice

I set it to soak in the flavours overnight

For Wood Chips I selected Cherry, got them going about 9:30 a.m.  I am using the bottom of the hotplate ad my cover for the chip pan, not sure if that is too many holes or not

Got the Brisket on about 9:45 when the temp was up to about 180 and a good smoke was starting

There was a TBS but not really noticible in the camera

At 2:30 after 4.5 hours on the smoker these are the spent chips, still some not quite done

THe arm roast after 4.5 hours, not as far along as I would have liked but the temp that was at about 220 when I left to go to the store was at 180 again when I returned home.  Does have a nice crisp starting on the side closer to the heat element

Top shot same time Internal Temp only about 140

I refreshed the chips and turned up the temp a little, it is rolling at around 230 right now.  After another hour internal temp is about 150, another half an hour or so and I will Wrap her up in foil and wait till she hits about 195 to 200 before resting, Will update the Q-View later

KN, evening.... looks like you solved the "too much smoke " problem...  Maybe a few less chips would help also...  How did the roast turn out...   Looks good now.... should be awesome later.....   Dave

When I pulled it off I let it rest for about and hour and a half and could not wait any longer

I unwrapped and slid onto a plate to cut and it looked terrific

I served it up with some grilled veggies

Overall it was terrific.  It was tender and delicious.  It was a touch drier than I would like but I am not sure if this is a byproduct of smoking or possibly due to the fact the temp had dipped for a little while.  I did not think it was over cooked just a touch on the dry side but very delicious.  Juice came out of the meat when I cut it so I am wondering why it had the slightly dry texture.  Perhaps I will go a little thicker next time, lay bacon on top or sear the bottom side first.

KN, morning..... It looks like it came out pretty darn good to me.....  I'd eat it..... no problem.....  along with everything else on the plate...  and maybe lick the plate too......    Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky