Are the Akorn and Performer side tables metal?

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by worktogthr, Mar 12, 2016.

1. worktogthr

worktogthr Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I just read on the Weber website that the side table on the Performer is painted metal? The one I have which is about 5-6 years old really looks like plastic so I never put anything hot on it such as a chimney, a foil pan that was on the grill or a hot grate. My Akorn has a very similar table. I would love to be able to put the hot grate or smokin stone onto the side table when taking it out for a reverse sear or what not. Just need reassurance that these two side tables are not going to melt on me.

Thanks!

2. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Mine doesn't look like metal either, but it's also a few years old, and I have burn marks all over it from hot things. I really don't think it's metal. Maybe the new ones are.

Al

3. I think my Akorn side table is metal but there were versions with wood (or something that looks like wood). There's also two versions of the cart, I have a 3 wheel type but there was a 4wheel square type.

4. Yes, Akorn side table are metal. I have placed a hot grate on them while cooking without problems.